Receive message even when on standby?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by codeoverride, Oct 18, 2008.

1. codeoverride

codeoverride New Member

I have been using Fring on my iPod Touch but it seems like when not used for about a minute, the iPod automatically goes on standby (which I like because the screen goes dark to save battery). I'm wondering if that means that I won't receive any IM's from AOL or calls from Skype..

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. thepachman

thepachman New Member

Unfortunately what I've come to understand is that Fring does not run in the background like other applications (Mail, AIM, etc.) This is a problem that has not been addressed in the newest versions. This means that you cannot receive messages unless you are IN the application...
  3. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    if you're on jailbroken 1G then install
    "Brackgrounder"
    and
    "Insomania"
    from Cydia then run fring and press+hold homebutton until message popsup saying "Backgrounding Enabled" after that go to homescreen turn on insomania and then you can let it go to standby.
    now it should continue recieving messages.

try it.
  4. codeoverride

codeoverride New Member

Thanks but my iPod is not jailbroken. Maybe in the future..

1. So is there a way to know what applications are running in the background?

2. Does this mean that the wifi keeps running and I can receive emails even when I click that top left button to lock the iPod?

3. Is there a way to close all open apps? I read about holding down the home button but it doesn't seem to do anything..

Thanks again!
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    springboard will kill apps if ipod is running out of RAM.
    No there's no way to kill all apps.
    On 1.x jailbroken there were a tool called SysInfo with which you could display all running apps and kill them manually. There seems to be nothing similar on 2.x

Please Register or Log in to view images

(I'm also looking for that kind of app)

2.yes wifi will keep running and emails can be recieved if Mailapp is running.
    "Insomania" from Cydia promises to allow apps and wifi stay on while ipod is locked.
    But it'll cause battery going down faster.