Reason: why apple did what they did.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by deltaspecops, Jan 16, 2008.

1. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Reasons for Noobs:

1. Because they wanted to keep the iPhone users happy that paying 100 dollars more was worth it.

2. Because they wanted to punish the jailbreakers.

3. Because Steve is greedy.

4. Because commercial software actually costs money. (thnx AJL23)

Answers welcome. But watch the language.
  2. sharkie545

sharkie545 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    apple sucks for wht they did there like trying to be come like microsoft were online they have xbox 1 games which cost so much meanwhile u can go to a store and buy the game for 2-5$. Apple shouldnt have done this. Iphone users get to have bluetooth and call tht is why it cost a 100$ more cry me a river iphone users.
  3. AJL23

AJL23 New Member

Because commercial software costs money. If it didn't there wouldn't be software companies. Do we really need another thread on this?
  4. Bitter

Bitter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I never thought of that before, and it makes sense. Good point.

I am not happy, along with most people, but what you said does make sense.
    And Apple is still in big debt from years back so they need the moneys.

Bitter.
  5. NUCLEaR

NUCLEaR New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    it should be $5...
    i saw the keynote and the $20 seemed like nothing compared to the $500 time capsule and $1800 macbook.
  6. goodgxt

goodgxt New Member

If Apple really wanted to discourage jailbreaking then they should have given out these five apps for free. There are probably several people that performed the jailbreak just for the functionality of these apps. With this $20.00 charge they're angering alot of loyal customers and I think that now even more will jailbreak just to get these apps that the new buyers will get for free.
  7. Bitter

Bitter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was thinking that a good way to prevent jailbreaking would be to release the SDK at the same time as 1.1.3 so that people don't jailbreak 1.1.3, instead, they will hold off and just download 3rd party apps legally and stuff like Apple plans eventually, but I suppose they really wanted to mention it at Macworld to have something to hype about. I don't know.

Bitter.
  8. rrm74001

rrm74001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Agreed.

No. They do not care if people hack the iPod. They just do not want people hacking the iPhone, because they have a relationship to keep with AT&T.

No. He would not make us pay for it unless he had a good reason. Look at the AppleTV, it is about 2 years old (?) and he is offering a free firmware update to get the iTunes movie rentals, a completely redesigned user interface, and direct streaming of podcasts/movies from the iTunes music store. I would have expected that he would have made everyone go out and but a new AppleTV machine, but he did not. Again, he would not make us pay for it unless he had a good reason.

The iPhone and iPod Touch use the same code / binaries. They did not even do anything to them. I maybe agree with paying for the Maps application, because they have to work with Google to do that. But the stocks, mail, weather and notes were done all one their own. Except for the fact that stocks and weather use Yahoo! to update it's data.

_________

I think it has something to do with Jobs not wanting iPhone owners to complain about how the iPod Touch is the exact same thing as the iPhone. Who knows, but I think they will change their minds because I bet they are getting flooded with emails complaining about this. They will probably give "iTunes-Credit" to those who already bought them.

It might also have to do with Apple finally releasing the SDK. This is more likely.
  9. -LB-

-LB- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    ^^ I think Steve's gone a bit crazy.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

As far as not caring if we jailbreak the ipod i think your wrong there but thats just personal opinion.

However as for them having a reason why they charged $20, you need to tell why before i can change it.