Reason for "brick"?

Discussion in 'Pwnage and Winpwn Discussions' started by joeyhbaby, Apr 15, 2008.

1. joeyhbaby

joeyhbaby New Member

Do you think that it is possible to brick your ipod by using the wrong firmware with pwnagetool? I have an iPod Touch and I tried using the iPhone firmware with it and it bricked two of my iPod Touches. I don't know if it was something I did or the firmware itself. What do you think?
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You can not use iphone firmware on the iPod.
  3. EvanTDM

EvanTDM New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    impossible you cant EVEN restore it to iphone firmware you get an error you lied
  4. georgie

georgie New Member

Pwn....

I think it would just say "restore failed"
  5. pakkman781

pakkman781 New Member

Sweet Internet Jesus, how in the bloody hell did you brick TWO iPods? Didn't the failure of the first clue you in? Have you ever heard "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" saying? Is it really so hard to get the right ipsw file? I pwned my iPod with 1.1.4, pwned to 2.0, then restored back to 1.1.4. AND IT WAS SO EASY A UNCONSCIOUS RETARDED CHIMP COULD DO IT!

Sorry for the flame, but my god, it's hard to hear of at least $600 worth of iPod succumbing to PEBKAC...
  6. pakkman781

pakkman781 New Member

Sorry for the double post, the edit system seems to be broken...

To answer your question, the reason they brick is that the bootloader firmware, which is a lower level function than say, the OSX based iPhone/iPod touch OS, is flashed incorrectly, and can no longer function as it is supposed to. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's similar to misflashing your PCs BIOS and it is no longer able to boot. Although a PCs BIOS may be recoverable by some failsafe, the iPhone/iPod touch has no such failsafe, as you're not even supposed to be able to mess with the bootloader in the first place!
  7. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    For the last f***ing time; DFU is a CPU function, you can't brick an iPod.
  8. thespaz

thespaz New Member

When you pwn your iPod touch, you can load ANYTHING as a firmware file because Pwnage Tool bypasses the code sign check so therefore you CAN in fact flash an iPod touch with an iPhone firmware but, then it won't be able to boot.
  9. shuft95

shuft95 Member

you disgust me!!!
  10. joeyhbaby

joeyhbaby New Member

i'm talking about while using pwnagetool. you look for the .ipsw file (the iphone firmware).