Really weird problem with my iPod Touch 16GB / Some help/advice required

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yaryar, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Yaryar

Yaryar New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hi guys!
    I've been reading the forum, and it's awesome! So much useful information for iPod and iPhone users that you wouldn't be able to find elsewhere.
    So, first of all I'd like to thank the ppl who have created the forum - GOOD STUFF!
    And now i would like to pass to the subject of my problem

Hopefully someone knows the solution, because I have no clue to what's possibly could be happening to my iPod Touch!

So here's story timeline:
    1. I bought my iPod Touch 16 GB back in November 2008
    2. It has been performing as intended until aproximately 1 week ago
    3. Suddenly (around 1 week ago) some weird stuff began to happen:
    - I've charged my iPod via LapTop USB port (as I had usually done) until it was fully charged (iTunes perfectly recognized it, and everything was just working as intended)
    - I've started to use my iPod normally (listening music and that kind of stuff, nothing special ;D)
    - After performing normally during 5-7 minutes (fully charged battery) it suddenly turned OFF without any previous notice, simply turned OFF.
    - Naturally I've tried to turn it ON by pressing the power button, but nothing happened. My iPod just was apparently "dead".
    - I've tried to turn it ON by pressing the home button either, but nothing happened at all.
    - The only way to turn it ON again, after this unexpected shut down occured, appears to be by plugging it to the USB.
    - iTunes still recognizes my iPod just fine. The battery charge appears to be full again.
    - But once again the same problem occurs, after just 5-7 minutes of normal functioning the cycle is reproduced again....

I've tried every possible solution given at apple/support page (recovering both from iTunes and from iPod, pressing home and power button at the same time, formating my iPod again and again), but nothing seem to be working and every time I'm facing the same problem....
    If i intentionally turn OFF my iPod by pressing the power button, i'm actually able to turn it ON again after a short period of time (let's say 1 minute), but if i'd try to turn it ON after 15-20 minutes it wouldn't work (just the same issue as if it turned OFF on its own, so again i have to plug it in to USB in order to be able to get it working again).

If some iPod touch GURU

would give me a valid solution for this, or at least any idea of wtf is happening to my almost new iPod touch, i'd really appreciate and be ethernally greatful to that person ;D
    I mean seriously, WTF?! It's been working just OK, I'd even say perfect until like 1 week ago, and now i just can't listen music, watch movies and use apps for more than 7 minutes! And to turn it ON I have to plug it in to USB every time!

P.S: i'm using latest version of iTunes and also iPod software. My iPod doesn't have any sort of "pirate" or that kind of software installed on it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Imitation

Imitation New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Did you repeatedly let it charge even when the battery was full or near-full?
  3. Darkfire45

Darkfire45 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The same has happened to me. My friends where playing it and then my iPod blacked out, and of course my friends freaked out thinking they broke the thing but when I plugged it back into my computer it worked perfectly fine, same battery charge as before.
  4. Yaryar

Yaryar New Member

Well, let's say I left it plugged in to my laptop for long periods of time (like maybe 8 hours).... But usually I only plug it in when the battery needs to be charged.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The problem I'm facing right now is that the iPod blacks out every time i'm using it! And in order to turn it ON i have to plug it to the USB pretty much every time!
  5. Guegs

Guegs Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    All I can tell you to do is to return it back to the place you purchased it from, and get a new one.

I am assuming that you have tried to do a restore, becuase you said that you tried formatting your iPod, but if you haven't, do that.

----------------
    Now playing: Duffy - Rockferry
    via FoxyTunes
  6. Yaryar

Yaryar New Member

Thanks for the advice! I've already considered that option as well

The problem is that i'm not sure whether or not I still have the receipt

But anyway, this forum is my last shot. Maybe some1 knows the TRUTH!
    And yes, I've done restore and recover about 2 times each....

Thanks for your reply
  7. masoco

masoco New Member

IMHO, it sounds like a faulty battery. Send it to Apple when you can.
  8. Yaryar

Yaryar New Member

Thanks for your advice! I'm considering to do so in upcoming days.
    Does some1 knows whether or not i have to attach corresponding recipt when sending iPod to Apple? I just can't find it

9. Imitation

Imitation New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just go to your nearest Apple Store (if it's convenient).

That serial number on the back is all Apple needs to determine whether you are under warranty or not as it is in their database.

And as you said, you bought it in November, you're under warranty.

Or if you bought it at a retailer like Best Buy and got their warranty, just go there and ask for a replacement. ;D
  10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Try charging from a wall socket and/or a different USB port and/or computer first... if none of these work then restore and see if that helps. If none of these work you have either a faulty battery, com board, connector or connector-to-com board ribbon cable, in which case you'll need to RMA it to Apple or get it independently serviced if out of warranty.