Really don't know what I should buy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by amerikansk, Sep 11, 2009.

1. amerikansk

amerikansk New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I was very excited to buy a new iPod touch assuming it had a microphone built into it as I wanted to use it with Skype, but now that Apple seems to be marketing it as a gaming device I doubt I will ever see this realization.

I would go with an iPhone if I could, but I refuse to pay the ridiculous roaming charges since I cannot unlock the phone without jailbreaking it. I am in Norway now but could be in England next, or the US, or Thailand; I don't want to commit to a contract because I highly doubt I will be in any one place for more than a year.

Jailbreaking an iPhone seems to be a slight hassle. Are updates released often enough to make it so that it needs to be jailbroken over and over? Is it a hassle?

I could probably afford a used iPhone 3G (afford meaning rationalize the purchase of), that I could (I assume) jailbreak and use a foreign SIM card in, but how well does the iPod Touch 2G/3G work with Skype or other VOIP programs? My friend has a 2G and the call quality is awful when he talks to me with a mic he bought.

I guess my main questions are:
    Is jailbreaking an iPhone 3G a hassle/worth it?
    Do the iPod touches work as well as an iPhone does (after buying the right mic/headset) with VOIP apps?

Edit: Guess I should add that I use an unlocked Blackberry 8800 right now as my cell phone, so I don't have any immediate desire or need for a new phone. I could just get a new Storm2 when those come out, but I've seen some videos of it in action and I'm pretty sure it will suck just as much as the first one (the accelerometer/software on the 1G is a joke).