Review Real Racing

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -tcq42-, Jun 7, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Real Racing
    The iPhone's Answer to Gran Turismo

In its very short, yet successful, lifespan the App Store has seen its fair share of racing games. From Crash Kart to Need For Speed Undercover, the App Store contains a good amount of quality racers. When Need For Speed Undercover was announced, delayed for about half a year, and then finally released in May, it was probably considered the best racing game in the App Store by many. However, Firemint's Real Racing is on another pedestal. Not only did Real Racing not get delayed for half a year, it also contains extremely realistic gameplay, a great selection of cars and tracks, as well as incredible replay value with local multiplayer and online leagues. In a nutshell, Real Racing is the most realistic racer on the iPhone platform and very few even come close to its glory.

Oh, it's real alright. ​

Gameplay/Controls
    The most impressive aspect of Real Racing is the gameplay. Unlike most of the racers out on the iPhone right now, Real Racing is a game anybody can pick-up and play. It has a brake-assist that helps players brake when turning. This feature can be controlled by a slider and you can choose how much you want the computer to automatically brake for you. In addition, the starting sensitivity of the steering feels very refined and realistic. I found it just a little bit too sensitive and turned it down, but it depends on the player.

There are also four control schemes. The default scheme uses the accelerometer to steer, auto-acceleration, and manual braking. Scheme number two also uses the accelerometer and manual braking, but this time, the player must accelerate manually. The last two schemes are similar to the first two, except they use the touchscreen to steer instead of the accelerometer. All of these control options give a player of any skill level to play this game.

Now that you have a hang of the controls, let's look at the gameplay side of things. There are two different camera views for the game. The default view is the c*ckpit view and the optional view is the third person behind the car view that you see in most racing games.

What makes this game standout is definitely the c*ckpit view because it's incredibly clever and detailed. When you brake, the driver shifts down in gear. Accelerating to a higher speed makes the driver shift up in gear. When you turn to a certain side, the driver also turns his arms with the steering wheel with you. If you run off the track into dirt or grass, the driver shakes as does the camera. The detail in this view is mind boggling and you actually feel like the driver as if you are looking through his eyes out into his world. The thing I've found out is that it's actually better to play in this view. You turn much better in this view because you actually see the road ahead of you and know how much you should turn. It actually feels like you are driving the car. If there was ever a first person racer, this would be it. The c*ckpit view also displays your lap time and velocity in the dash board as well as the position you are in and the lap number on the left side of the screen. You can also look at the rear view mirror by tapping the top of the screen. To say the least, the c*ckpit view is what makes the Real Racing experience so, well, real.

Enough with the cameras and the control schemes, so how does this game play out? Although the controls and the camera make up a very large portion of the gameplay experience, the game itself still has to be challenging and fun in order for the gameplay to be a hit. Real Racing passes with honors in this department as well. The first thing you will notice about the game is that the AI is incredibly smart. They will bump into you, try to spin you out, and they are never too far behind. Yet, they aren't aggressive enough to have you lose every race. You may win one race or finish third in another. The game is challenging, but not challenging to the point where it frustrates the hell out of you.

The game features 12 distinct tracks that all contain a challenging turn at one point or another. It also contains 36 cars. None of the cars are licensed, so don't get too excited. There are three car classes: hatchback, sedan, and muscle. You unlock most of the cars through career mode as you go through the ranks. There are 57 events through career mode. These events usually contain three races apiece and vary in the amount of laps per race. If you have an hour or two of spare time, you can get pretty deep into career mode. The game also features a quick race and time trial feature for those who don't have an hour to dedicate to this game and would like to get their driving fix on.

I can't even imagine the amount of work Firemint put on the gameplay and controls of this game. It's just a technical marvel and it worked out to perfection. I've played a lot of racing games on many platforms and this one is definitely up there. It just blows away almost every racer on the iPhone in terms of gameplay and controls. It is definitely the best racing experience you will find on the iPhone.

Third person was so yesterday. ​

Visuals
    Although the visuals are not mind-blowing, they are definitely more than passable. The car models look very accurate, but it's the texture on them that's not very pleasing to the eye. A stationary image of a car in the game may have a matte look to it. However, it's the lighting of the game that makes the bad textures go away during a full speed race. The lighting gives the cars a nice glossy reflection and it also creates a flare effect on the camera, giving it a very realistic look. One of the things I really like about the car visuals is that there is a lot of detail put into them. The vinyls and the engraving on the tires are just two examples. At rest, the cars in the game don't look all that great. But if you put the game into full-speed, they look just fine.

The 12 tracks of the game look very unique. From forest areas to urban backgrounds, there is quite a bit of variation. In addition, the tracks are also extremely detailed. The buildings in the backgrounds are all rendered well. The forested areas give shadow and the sun barely shines through. Once again, the lighting pays dividends here as well as it creates a visual realism.

The textures on most of the objects in the game are restricted due to the iPhone's hardware capabilities, but the lighting definitely makes up for it. The car models look nice and the environments are varied, but this isn't the best looking iPhone game out there. However, it definitely can stand up on its own.

Lookin' Good!​

Audio
    When I compared the game to Gran Turismo in the review's subtitle, audio wasn't what I was comparing it to. Nothing can beat Gran Turismo when it comes to audio because they record the engine sound of every car in the game. I don't think Real Racing did that, but does anybody really listen for the engine sounds of every single car? When I play Gran Turismo, I sure as hell don't notice what engine sound the Lancer Evolution makes. So basically, it's a moot point. As long as the game has car sounds, it should be fine, right?

Although Real Racing doesn't pay attention to engine sounds like Gran Turismo does, it does feature 10 licensed independent artist tracks. I've never heard any of them outside of the game, but I found at least a couple of them quite catchy. Most of the songs are of the rock genre, although I think I heard something electronic once. Don't count on me though because I paid much more attention to the gameplay of the game rather than the audio.

It doesn't match up to the audio details of Gran Turismo, but Real Racing sounds perfectly fine and has 10 licensed tracks for you to listen to during races. They may get a bit repetitive after a while, but you can always listen to your own music while playing the game. You just won't get game's sound effects.

So that's what's going on behind me?​

Presentation
    When you first fire up the game, you'll be welcomed by a nicely transitioned video that shows you a bunch of gameplay clips. After the video, you are taken to the main menu, which is modeled after a garage. The car in the middle has options like career, quick race, time trial, and etc. There's one car in the garage that takes you to your profile. The third car, which is behind the car in the middle of the screen, is for online leagues and multiplayer. To the left of the main car, there is a tool box with a laptop on it. This is the where the options of the game are.

Navigation within the game is very simple. The buttons are clean and the interface looks nice. Just about anybody can find their way through this game. Once again, it looks like Firemint is trying to please every type of player out there whether this is the first time they've touched an iPhone or iPod touch or they've been playing games for ten years.

Very clean and very easy to navigate.​

Replay Value
    If you're pretty good at racing games, you can finish the career mode of the game in a day or two. However, there's some nice multiplayer options out there for those who are willing to play this game with friends or compare scores with players all over the world.

In order to play multiplayer, the people you are willing to play against must be on the same wireless network as you are or it won't work. The great thing about the multiplayer is that it doesn't lag, which is unbelievable if you think about it. In addition to local multiplayer, you can also join online leagues race your way to the best player in the world.

There is definitely a lot of replay value in this game. Not only is it a game that should have you playing single player for a long time, it also features some great multiplayer options. At $9.99, the game is on the more expensive end. However, with all of its features and the replay value, it is definitely worth the money. Real Racing should keep you busy for a long time.

You'll be seeing this an awful lot over the next couple of months.​

Final Thoughts
    Real Racing is a technical masterpiece that trumps every other game in its genre. The many months of development definitely paid off for Firemint as they have constructed an iPhone masterpiece. From its realistic c*ckpit view to its incredible replay value, Real Racing is the must-get game for the iPhone.

With so many great games coming to the platform, it may be hard to choose which game to get next. But I assure you, you cannot lose with Real Racing. It's realistic, it's fun, it's easy on the eyes, and nothing gets you closer.

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Looks amazing. Nice review mate. Loads of detail! I just don't know if I can bring myself to shell out 10 bucks... though it looks well worth it.
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If anybody bought Need For Speed for 10 bucks, I think then this is well worth it.
  4. Just_For_Now

Just_For_Now Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice review. People say this game is epic, hopefully there is some kind of lite version before i buy it.
  5. Jim Ver

Jim Ver New Member

I like NFS better than Real racing i have both i find the controls very weird but i think it will be better if i get used to it
  6. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow...

it really is 7 paragraphs....

nice

7. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm a man of my word.

8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol... i know.

hope to hear mor previews of more reviews on MSN

9. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Another great review. Thinking about picking this one up right now.
  10. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Awesome review ! Well done

The game looks briliant , best racing game until now .