Real iPhone GPS

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kevio, Dec 15, 2007.

1. kevio

kevio New Member

2. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I don't see why it wouldn't on work on the itouch. I'll buy one if they test it and it works.
  3. Walder

Walder New Member

This is fantastic. It's great to see so much third party activity taking place on the iPhone and iPod Touch platforms. It just proves how well Apple designed and manufactured these products.

I'm sure this will work on the iPod Touch, although it is strange that it is not mentioned at all on the website. I dont know how GPS works, but maybe it needs some of the iPhone specific hardware, such as the actual cellphone technology? i doubt it though...
  4. wardak

wardak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well if apple designed it well, they wouldn't have put in so many locks into it. If you watch the youtube video its a two stage process. The initial part is to hack enable the serial interface, after he pushes the button it switches from enable serial to send NMEA data. If apple were not as cruel to lock out the software/hardware it could just be a direct connect of serial lines from GPS to the phone (assuming correct levels).

GPS basically sends a string of data every second and in this case over serial. It has like the time, longitude and latitude in a string.

The only iphone specific hardware is the fact that the iphone can use edge or whatever they use for the always on internet and that works as an advantage with the mapping since the google maps gets the maps from the website. For the touch we will have to wait for them to come up with a set of offline maps and map program for use in the touch.
  5. cesjr

cesjr New Member

Very nice proof of concept! It appears as though they're taking orders right now?
  6. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would love one but $89.00 is a little much for me right now...
    So I will need to wait and see if this is something that I must have...
    I would like to see the final product before I buy one though, not just the prof of concept thingy...
  7. chrischris292

chrischris292 New Member

LOL it looks like a rice of crap
    just use navizon
  8. kevio

kevio New Member

9. Gabe

Gabe Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I emailed the GPS maker.

I'm buying one if its going to work. $90 is cheap for GPS anyway.
  10. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

why would u need gps on wifi? isnt wifi pretty much stationary. like how would u have wifi in ur car