Real Hackers

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Killa0One, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Killa0One

Killa0One New Member

Look, people like Geohotz and the Elite Dev Team and other people discovered/made hacks for the ipod. Now people use these "hacks" to hack their IPoT and iPhone and they claim "ZoMG I am a total haxx0rz 1337 omg omg". But, they use known exploits and progs to hack their stuff. So i dont think it makes them hackers, but yet people classify them as hackers. IDK what do you guys think qualifies someone as a hacker? I think that you have to find exploits and make progs to be qualified as one...
  2. masterwill22

masterwill22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You need to distinguish the term hacker and cracker... that's the first step. Hackers make software and DOES NOT help "hack" other software or programs. That's the crackers job.
  3. corymartinez

corymartinez New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

whats the difference between hacking and reverse engineering?
    or hacking and programing?
  4. spinner

spinner New Member

I don't know, look at metasploit. Metasploit is a program with many known exploits used to gain access and controll to pc's. Yet if someone uses this well inown program, they are considered a hacker. (even in the metasploit tut, it tells it will teach you to "hack" using metasploit. Well, if your "hacking", then you must be a "hacker")
  5. masterwill22

masterwill22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's the common misconception of most people. When someone says hacker, they automatically think of someone who steals people's password or someone who took over someone's computer and etc. As i said, hacking is making software, not "hacking" it. That's why i put hacking in quotes. It really should be called cracking.
  6. spinner

spinner New Member

Out of this years Dictionary: "Hacker: One who illegally gains access to another's electronic system"

From Wikipedia: "In computing, a hacker is someone who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular"

"Nowadays, mainstream usage usually refers to computer criminals"

"this includes "script kiddies", people breaking into computers using programs written by others, with very little knowledge about the way they work"

So the correct term for me and anyone else jailbreaking their ipods, (unless they are described accurately by the first definition) is "Script kiddies"
  7. bobthehacker

bobthehacker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i define hacking as finding security defects and exploiting them! i have ben payed 2 hack my schools (and a few other small business around my town) server, and have ben asked 2 find ways around there website blocks so they can tighten security! hacking can be be aney thing form making a program for finding a lost pasword 2 defacing a website!
    i conceder myself a "hacker"!(as you can see by my user name)

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. steveo3

steveo3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  9. masterwill22

masterwill22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Exactly. "Mainstream usage usually refers to computer criminals". It's the mainstream usage meaning that's what the majority of the people use the term hacker for breaking into computers or etc. Just because a lot people use that term doesn't mean it's correct.

Also, fixing exploits is considered hacking since you either develop new software or any patches to fix those exploits. Exploiting is not hacking. Cracking was just an unofficial term to describe the opposite of hackers. They can be called script kiddies for all i care.
  10. skyline_-

skyline_- New Member

I'd have to say you summed it up pretty well

Please Register or Log in to view images