Real Football 2009 Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by GoffeyUK, Sep 10, 2008.

1. GoffeyUK

GoffeyUK New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Updated 11/9/2008

Not one to normally post a review, but this game is something else. Considering the fact its based on the iPod Touch, i think its a serious competitor for any game on the Nintendo DS and PSP.

First Impressions
    Normally, when i purchase a football game for any hand held device, wheather it be a DS or Mobile phone. i found the game rather limited. Maybe its because am used to the likes of 'Pro Evolution Soccer' (PES) for the Xbox.

However, this game is different!. Its so close to Pro Evo (in gameplay and game features) that i often forget am playing on my iPod Touch!.

Graphics
    Okay, so the graphics arent the best in the world. But they are probably the best you can get on the touch.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Although this image is taken from the screenshots shown along side the application on the app store, i can confirm this screenshot is taken from a reply, after the person has scored.

This screenshot shows the actual gameplay of the game. As you can see its very basic but effective control style.

The graphics of the game, often remind me of the original Pro Evo games, ISS (International Superstar Soccer) on the Nintendo 64.

Game Play
    While playing the game, i can't help but compare it to Pro Evo, maybe because it has some many similarities.

Those being:
    - They game is viewed side on
    - Intro sequence to each match shows the stadium and players lined up [updated]
    - mini pitch over-view with players represented as dots in there respected club colours [updated]
    - They feature the same trick list abilities:
    #Step Overs
    #Marsellie turn
    #Flip Flap (ronaldinho's specialty)
    #Fake Shot
    #Through Ball
    #One Two
    #Lobed Shot
    #List goes on....

- Replays after each goal
    # Don't know how i missed this feature, but if you press the home icon (based in the left hand corner of the screen) and select replay. You can take control of the replay, and adjust the position, the speed, the angle and also zoom in or pan out. This feature is available after a goal, or even during gameplay. [updated]

- The bad habbit of not obtaining the rights to use the correct kit.
    - Nor the rights to use the correct club name
    - Player names are correct!

Like you'd expect on a football game. You have the ability to manage your teams formation & substitutes. Surprisingly, you can adjust the formation to any style you like, by draging the players position to any part of the pitch. Thus allowing you to create your own formation!. [updated]

You also have the choice to join a vareity of different leagues, ranging from the 'Premiership' to 'La Liga' and 'Seria A' etc.

At first, i'll admit the game is a bit teadious and it takes a bit of getting used to the controls. But once you do, you'll get carried away with it and forget your even playing on the touch!.

Controls
    The controls can be found under the settings menu at the start of the game, and also during a match.

Remember, the longer you hold the A/B button the more power the shot/pass will have. Also remember when i refer to 'Empty Space', i mean the area above the buttons and below the name of the current player.

Attacking
    Dribble - Tap the on-screen directional pad to dribble
    Sprint - Double tap the same direction twice and hold to sprint
    Short Pass - Press B (along the floor)
    Long Pass - Tab b and slide upwards or downwards to perform a long pass (usual lifted into the air)
    Through ball - Hold b to perform a through ball
    Lob Through Ball - Tap b and drag to the left, to perform a lofted through ball
    Shoot - Press A (the longer you hold it, the more power)
    Lob Shot/Chip Shot - Tap A and drag upwards to peform a chipped shot
    Fake Shot - Tap A and drag right to perform a fake shot (good for tricking the keeper and defenders)
    One-Two Pass - Double tap b to perform a one two.
    Step Over - Tap and hold in an empty area while running to perform a step over (empty area on the screen, such as above the A, B Buttons and below the players name).
    Flip Flap - Double tap an empty space to perform a Flip Flap (ronaldinho's specialty)
    Marseille Roulette - Drag to draw a circle in an empty area to perform a marseille roulette

Defending
    Change Player - Tapan empty area to change players
    Press & Tackle - Tap b (this is a light tackle)
    Slide Tackle - Tap A
    Goalkeeper Rush Out - Tap b and drag upwards to bring the goalkeeper out.

Key Features

- Real player names
    - Upto Date Transfers
    - Hundreds of different teams
    - Statistics for each league (top goal scorer, top assits, rankings)
    - Statistics after each game (shots, shot on target, fouls, possession etc.) [updated]
    - Can pull off some sweet football tricks/skills
    - Automatic save after each game
    - Replays after each goal
    - Can control the replays after each goal, via the opitions menu (accessed by the home icon) and selecting repay. [updated]
    - Very similar gameplay to Pro Evo

Conclusion
    If your a Pro Evo fan, then don't hesitate to buy this game!. Its amazing and has so many similarities to the Pro Evo series. The different leagues and teams, will keep you busy for hours!. Its even kind to the battery life of the touch!.

Hope this review was helpful

2. poopstain

poopstain New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice review, I agree completely. I hope that Gameloft continues to improve this game and makes more sport games.

How do you do a fake shot though? I don't remember that in the tutorial.
  3. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm a big fan of soccer games so i'm sold on this.
  4. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

sweet, getting this!
  5. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Yeah I like this game. Well done for calling it football

Dont suppose your a Pro Evo fan are ya =P

BTW, not important, but you put reply instead of replay at one point, above the second screenshot =]
  6. rodnono

rodnono New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Very nice review, thanks.
  7. plokiju

plokiju New Member

is Ronaldinho in this game? If so, does he look like the real one? Thats the main selling point for me.
  8. poopstain

poopstain New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't think so... there's only a few variations of player models, so there aren't hundreds of models for each specific player.
  9. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Nice review.

My personal favorite game in the App Store, by far.
  10. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I'm buying this game right now because of your review.