Reading PDF's, a *small* tutorial

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tdavie, Mar 23, 2008.

1. tdavie

tdavie New Member

Disclaimer; this works for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is on a 32 gb Touch, running 1.1.4 Jailbroken. I never managed to get Apache running properly, and the PDFviewer, although it worked, did not have Landscape mode and couldn't bookmark or remeber pages (or I couldn't do it properly). My solution after reading, jailbreaking, and restoring a number of times (mainly to learn) is the following....

1) I've installed the 1.1.3/4 Safari patch that allows file:// support
    2) Using WinSCP I place my PDF's in /private/Docs
    3) In Safari, I open, as an example file:///private/Docs/Rise.pdf (and it works)
    4) I read until I want to stop, and then hit the + sign to add a bookmark to the homescreen. The PDF is then bookmarked to the current location in the document.
    5) After reopening the PDF file and bookmarking it again, I give it a slightly different name, and delete the previous bookmark from the homescreen.

Not a terribly sophisticated solution, but it works for the smallish PDF files I read. I usually only have 1 or 2 books open at a time, and I'm not concerned about selecting from a file list. I do await and think Adobe will release a PDF viewer in Junem but that's just me.

If this seems obvious, I apologize, but I've only had my touch for a few weeks

Please Register or Log in to view images

Tom
  2. cryptsucks

cryptsucks Banned

perffect for my playboy =]
  3. wolfdart

wolfdart New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    works for me too!

tks!
  4. ra3don