Reading books/ebooks

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Orchidsdance, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Orchidsdance

Orchidsdance New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was wondering what the best app is for reading books on the ipod 2g. I have a ton of books on my computer already and was hoping to be able to put them on my ipod touch. Any help with this would be great. I dont mind paying for an app if I have to either.

Thanks in advance!
    Orchid
  2. berky93

berky93 New Member

stanza. its a great free ebook reading app that comes with a desktop app that easily allows you to sync books to your ipod. you can also download books directly from your ipod. its highly customizable, too. I have been using it since I upgraded to 2.0, and its a great app.
  3. Orchidsdance

Orchidsdance New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks! Is there a limit on how many books you can have?
  4. netflixer

netflixer New Member

Stanza (no limit, books are free)
    eBook (some books aren't free)
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

BookShelf's pretty good too, and you don't need to convert books to the epub format if you're using MobiPocket (non-DRM), along with support for several other formats. Plus you don't have to tap on the right side of the screen to scroll pages, as you must (no options) with Stanza. Oh, and if you don't have a Mac and the books aren't in a publically-available 'library', you can't download them onto the iPod without the desktop client, which is Mac-only.
  6. Orchidsdance

Orchidsdance New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

I was looking at that... and I dont have a mac. I dont get my ipod touch until today, but I want to have everything all set up before I get it. So tha bookshelf app is the next best thing to stanza?
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

actually stanza lets you drag to switch pages too, and supports other formats. but I'vs not heard much about bookshelf, so I guess i need to check it out before making judgements.
  8. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Try BookShelf LT - it's the free version which only lets you have ten books in your library at any one time, but gives you a bit of an idea about its capabilities. It does navigate HTML links in mobipocket files (for ToC, indexes) pretty well.

Also, I've been informed Stanza FINALLY has a Desktop beta for Windows XP and Vista, which means that part's finally covered. But from what I recall, Stanza only supports epub and TXT natively, and anything else it reads (DOC, RTF, etc) has to be converted by the Desktop client for transfer to the iPod's library.