Read signal level, noise, throughput?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Clash, May 26, 2009.

1. Clash

Clash New Member

Hello!
    Is it possible to have access to these kind of informations like signal level, noise, etc? I know that if you call to *3001#12345#* you can see the signal strenght in decibels, but I wonder if there some sort of command to get it.
    Thanks in advance
  2. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

That would probably require either reverse engineering CoreTelephony, or just using the phone's hardware itself the old fashioned way. Look in the tutorial section under "Sending SMS with the iPhone modem" to get a better idea of what it'd look like.
  3. Clash

Clash New Member

Thanks for the swift reply! I have little experience with the iPhone but I have some experience with modem interfacing via telnet on visual basic. Which would you judge easier? Reverse engineering CoreTelephony seems more complex than the other option. I've read your tutorial, thanks for the insight, but I'm very lost regarding the commands you used, where can I take a look to discover what 'AT+CMGF=1' does in detail or find out other commands? I'm also interested onto how to read data from the modem, do you know any other place with more tutorials or a reference?
    Thanks in advance
  4. Cyanidepoison

5. Clash

Clash New Member

Thanks. Just to get this straight, there is no SDK or API for this? I have to resort to such low level?
  6. Cyanidepoison

Well, you could class-dump the telephone application and the Springboard to see where they get their data and then just use that.
  7. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Just noting you won't be able to submit this to app store.