Read big pdf and text files without wifi and jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ronie.mhtr, May 17, 2009.

1. ronie.mhtr

ronie.mhtr New Member

Hi all . I have recently purchased an ipod touch 2g and was eagerly searching for a pdf reader . But most of the posts said that i would have to jailbreak my ipod and so i did , but the trick i am going to mention may not need any jailbreak . Many of you would know it but it might be helpful for new ones .
    First you have to download 2 apps ie Good reader and Diskaid , pm me if you need the links or just google .
    Diskaid helps to SSH your ipod without wifi , so download it on your pc . Then download Goodreader on your ipod . For transfering files to gooreader you need wifi but instead you can directly copy files to ipod using Diskaid .
    Start Diskaid and select root folder near bottom left . And then navigate to user/applications . Here you would find many folders with big serial names . Search every folder to find gooreader . It is difficult if you have large number of apps installed . Search from bottom and you will initially find gooreader folder . Now copy all your pdf or text files in the documents folder and thats it .
    Start gooreader on ipod and you will find your files.
    I have tried 80 mb pdf file and it opened like a charm .
  2. marmondude101

marmondude101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  3. ronie.mhtr

ronie.mhtr New Member

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Good reader isn't free though.
  5. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Airsharing. I got it when it was free, which was like sometime in September. but its a really useful app.
  6. ronie.mhtr

ronie.mhtr New Member

There is a beta version of good reader which is free .
  7. gescom

gescom New Member

Thanks for the info ronie.mhtr. Just to correct you diskaid is unable to access the root folder on ipods that have not been jailbroken. See here for info.

Without accessing the root folder you cannot navigate elsewhere on the ipod, only starting from diskaids default 'media' folder. There are two apps that can read and use files transfered in the media folder on unjailbroken ipods and they are fileaid and istorage.

So if you don't want to jailbreak your ipod and have no wifi (only usb), using diskaid together with fileaid or istorage is the way to go.

I bought istorage and can recommended it, however it might struggle a bit with big pdf's unlike goodreader. Istorage's text reader has the ability to change font size and can show white text on a black background which is good for reading at night (its not available for html or pdf viewing though). However there is no bookmarking or search option which limits its use as a bookreader. It lets you edit and save text which is a good option if you need it.

I think if the pdf you are reading is mostly text then its better to convert it and read it with something like Stanza. You will need wifi to transfer the files but it will make your reading experience so much more easier and enjoyable. Stanza's ability to lock the orientation of the screen, change font size and typeface and alter line spacing are the features I like most about it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've read some people recommend using Calibre instead of stanza's desktop app for transfering and converting files for use with Stanza.

Btw this is a handy tool if converting text yourself, its an online Line Break Removal Tool which means your text files will word wrap perfectly to the edges of your screen. I used it before transferring text files to view in istorage and it works well.
  8. pvk_vicky2000

pvk_vicky2000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks buddy 1$(goodreader) and jailbreak is enough to read all the pdf in the world
  9. GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    what if you just email it to yourself and download the file while you have wifi? then you could use the original pdf reader to read it...
  10. jojo20

jojo20 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    really need help guys. i downloaded goodreader but i cant find what the first poser said "user/applications . Here you would find many folders with big serial names . Search every folder to find gooreader . It is difficult if you have large number of apps installed . Search from bottom and you will initially find gooreader folder." Pls help guys. thanks