Reactivation Problem with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by tymanzz, Apr 8, 2009.

1. tymanzz

tymanzz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey guys. Today I restarted my computer because it was kinda running slow. Then after the bios loaded I get the windows logon sound "dun dun dun dun" and then I get a message saying my hardware has changed significantly. It then says I have 3 days to reactivate windows. So I try and reactivate it only for it to say that my product key has been used the maximum number of times. My parents bought this about 5 or 6 years ago (Windows XP Home Edition) and our product key is on the side of the computer. But it keeps saying it's been used too many times. Wtf? Can anyone help?
  2. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Well yeah, you can only use the key a certain amount of times (3). Aparently if you call them, they will give you a new key. They will ask for you key you use now so they know its legit.

Say about that message saying your hardware had changed, say you put new RAM in, otherwise they might tell you to buy a new license.
  3. tymanzz

tymanzz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why would they say that when I've only reinstalled Windows once?
  4. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Just edited my other post.

You've had it for 5-6 years and its only been reinstalled once? Must of been twice. 3 times the key is used and the message will come up.
  5. Led

Led Banned

Dell/HP/etc computers might have a copy of windows with only a few activations maybe? That's what happened with MS Office 2007 for me.
  6. yelah.ma

yelah.ma New Member

yeah just call them. (phone # in the activation window thing) That's the easiest way. It's an automated voice machine, so you say the code your computer tells you to tell to the machine, it'll process and say it has generated an activation key of sorts for you, and repeat it to you.

Please Register or Log in to view images

remember to try googling this. and cracks/illegal workarounds don't really work with this..trust me.

(bit of info found from googling here: http://www.command-tab.com/2007/03/17/windows-xp-activation-in-5-minutes-or-less/)

Hope it helps.
  7. tymanzz

tymanzz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, this thread is a week old. But thank you for your help!

I finally called and got the key, and everything works.
  8. yelah.ma

yelah.ma New Member

oh whoops... sorry, wasn't paying attention to the dates. :/

that's great !