RE: Roms from Cydia.

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by Mookler, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    This may not be my business, but I really want to see the logic behind it.

The thread that this responds to was a guy saying that there was once a repo for roms on cydia, and wanted to know if it still existed.

Someone replied with where to get roms.

The OP was banned, and the guy posting the links to the roms was given a warning.

So saying that you've seen roms is worse than providing them? The OP wasn't asking for roms directly if I assume correctly, just if the said repo still existed.

Thread in question: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2198413#post2198413
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I understand your concerns. Unfortunately, it appears that the OP was treated more harshly than the member who linked to a ROM site. That, however, is not true. The OP had previously been warned for illegal/piracy-related discussion, so for his second offense, an infraction was in order.

Countless people have been disciplined for requesting ROMs; this is no exception. The rules state the following:
    (emphasis added)

To conclude, thanks for respectfully voicing your concerns, and I hope I cleared everything up. I would normally request that you address the staff privately with your concerns, but in this particular case, it's good that everyone can see the rationale behind the disciplinary action.
  3. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    if emulators are legal and ROMS arent, then whats the point of an emulator, an app that can do stuff but we let it stay blank.

thats like an anorexic person talking about the great deal she got on a new set of plates?
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    What you do with an emulator is your business. The iPTF staff is not telling you how to behave in real life. You can break the law all you want in real life. That is not a concern of the staff. We do, however, mandate that you refrain from discussion illegal things on the site.
  5. Flea

Flea New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well aren't roms legal if you have a physical copy?

Gotta have my pokemanz
  6. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Axis,

Thanks for your understanding. Was unsure of who to address, so I made this thread (Which can now be closed

Please Register or Log in to view images

) I am aware of the rules and not knowing of his history, thought a ban was a bit harsh for stating that he had seen roms. All is well now though.

Shanshanknegi,
    Emulators are legal because there is no legal basis to make them illegal.
    All they do is interperate code. The code they interperate (The BIOS and ROMs) are illegal.
  7. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ohh alright, so having the actual game with the code makes the ROMS legal.
  8. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    People will debate on the legality of ROMs till the sun goes down.

Some say they're legal if you own the actual game
    Some say they're illegal even if you own the game

Either way, the rules state that we really cannot talk about them, so lets not post here again, wait for the thread to be closed, and move on with our lives.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.