Re-ordering icons with SummerBoard installed?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mchomicz, Oct 15, 2007.

1. mchomicz

mchomicz New Member

With SummerBoard installed - does re-ordering icons involve re-arranging
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N45AP.plist ?

Or does SmmerBoard ignore N45AP.plist and instead uses its own file - located some place else? If so - what is the location of the play list that SummerBoard actually pays attention to?

I'm asking because I do have SummerBoard 'alpha' installed (and working) but my N45AP.plist has way fewer application entries than what I actually have installed (and what SummerBoard displays).

Thank you,
    Michael
  2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yes you must edit the n45ap.
  3. mchomicz

mchomicz New Member

Thanks for the info. I edited the N45AP.plist and SummerBoard did in fact pick up my new icon order.

Just a couple of notes on the process: I'm sure there is a reason why Apple stores those .plist files on the iPod in binary format (aside from smaller size perhaps faster parsing?). Fortunately - Erica Sadun wrote an iPhone/iPod Touch native series of utilities and 2 of them happen to be useful to Windows users for converting playlist files from binary to text and back. They are called plist2txt and txt2plist and can be found here (I grabbed the latest version as of this writing: EricaUtiliites-0.30.tar; installation is as simple as dropping all her directories into corresponding directory structure on the iPod; man, I like UNIX/Linux more and more every day ;-) I only tried these 2 utilities from her set and they both play nice with 1.1.1 )

Also, for other crazies like me who are too lazy to install a validating XML editor and insist on using Notepad for editing XML- here is a handy online XML validator.

Thanks again! I hope someone writes a GUI icon re-arranging 'plug-in' to SMBPrefs one of these days ;-)

Michael