Re-jailbreaking and aptbackup

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by veeloc, Nov 24, 2008.

1. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    k so i had used apt backup once when i think i was restoring with like 2.0.2? idr. anyway, it worked great u just have to do it right, well anyway the thing is when i rejailbroke it for 2.2, i tried to use it but apperently i did it wrong. anyway i wasnt looking forward looking through all the lists to find the apps i wanted, but im winscping right now and i found out that in
    /root/private/var/stash
    there are things like (Examples) Themes.XXXXX and then below there is a Themes.AAAAAA, and the theme X is my current winterboard, but then the Themes A is my previous list of winterboard themes. this occurs for all folders in stash

Idk if its anywhere else, but if you had the same problem i did, u can find ur lists there
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The reason you got that was because you did an upgrade and rejailbreak - and when Cydia moved things, it moved them to different folders than you had the first time. Usually it's a good idea to kill everything in the /var/stash folder after the rejailbreak and before you rerun Cydia... or at least to write down the directory names so you can kill them later.

And be sure to run APTBackup to restore the previously downloaded applications as the first program you install via Cidia.
  3. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    how do you get openssh without using cydia, ive heard of ways to do it w/o wifi, but can someone tell me some ways to do that. and what is the correct procedure for aptbackup?
    cuz ive done it before, but i messed it up this time
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You have to have the OpenSSH files already. You can then use DiskAid or Total Commander to copy the files via USB onto the iPod, and set permissions. Beyond that, the easiest way from what I've seen to get it all working is to upgrade or restore the iPod to the newest firmware, jailbreak with QuickPwn, use DiskAid to kill everything in the /var/stash directory, and then open up Cydia. After it's organized everything, download APTBackup from Cydia, and after it's installed run it. Select Restore and keep the iPod plugged into the charger so you know it won't run out of power. It'll reboot the iPod when it's finished, and everything that was available via Cydia shoudl be installed.
  5. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    right total commander i couldnt remember of the name of it, ok thx. learn something new everyday i guess...