iOS 4.0 Re Jailbreak with Redsn0w iOS 4.0

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by EpiikRageQuit, Aug 29, 2010.

1. EpiikRageQuit

EpiikRageQuit New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just wondering... I am really puzzled I cannot get a custom boot logo with my jailbreakme jailbreak. I have done a lot of ssh and themes and what not and .strings stuff so I am not a total n00b. But I was hoping to get some feedback on this topic. I was wondering if it is possible to re-jailbreak my ipod 2G 4.0 with redsnow and downgrade my firmware. I was hoping to do this for the custom boot logo and so I wouldn't have to deal with the slow 4.0 software update. Any links or advice are greatly appreciated. I have already browsed multiple sites but I can't make sense of wich method is the newest or most effective. I also would like to know about downgrading my firmware.
  2. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah you would have to do a fresh restore to use redsn0w. I think coz you have an MB model you can downgrade at any time, could be wrong though. Do you have shsh's saved for any lower firmwares?
  3. EpiikRageQuit

EpiikRageQuit New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No this is the first time I have jailbroken. my plan is to ssh everything like my themes and apps, music et cetera then rejailbreak with redsn0w then get opeen ssh and put everything back on. And would you be able to link me to a redsn0w download or let me know wich version to use. Also what are shsh's. I see every time I go into cydia it says i have them saved for 4.0
  4. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    jailbreakme.com doesn't have boot logos because it doesn't flash the NOR. This means that the boot logo can't be changed. redsn0w, however, uses a bootrom exploit that's present in all devices except the 3G and 4G devices. This flashes the NOR, meaning the boot logo can be changed to anything, including verbose boot, which looks really cool.

SHSH files let you downgrade to another firmware. However, since you have an MB model, you can always downgrade to any firmware that's later than the one the iPod came with, as long as you use PwnageTool.

Also,

redsn0w: http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rsbeta

PwnageTool: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/726179754/foursome-news
  5. EpiikRageQuit

EpiikRageQuit New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Thank you a lot, i will try this out in the next week, I have been busy with work and school so I will most definitely try this out. Thanks again!