Ratings not "Setting" properly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Elric, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Elric

Elric New Member

I like to rate ALL my music, when I listen to my iPod I rate the songs... when I plug it into my computer and sometimes next time I listen to a song I JUST rated, it's reset to zero rating. Anyone else experiencing this?
  2. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When you set ratings, make sure that it is set with iTunes to make sure its permanent. If you set it on your touch, sometimes the ratings get reset because the same song in your itunes library never had a rating. Also you want to make sure that in order to prevent your Touch from resyncing and resetting your ratings everytime you plug your touch into the computer, to go to your preferences in itunes and uncheck the option that says to automatically sync when plugged in. This way, your ratings on your touch will not get reset and you can still add new music.
  3. Razzi

Razzi New Member

i've got the same problem and my search yielded 5 threads that didnt really get anywhere.

i have playlists set to work with ratings. such as play 5 star songs that havent been played in 2 weeks
    4 stars that havent been played in 4 weeks
    3 stars in 6 weeks

then i combine them so i'm always hearing fresh music that i like without having repeats. problem is itunes, a program made specifically for one mp3 product, the ipod, fails to communicate with it. i rated all the songs on my 2nd gen touch, plug them into itunes and ratings doesnt show up. that's fine and dandy i suppose, it gets worse when ratings just out of nowhere gets deleted and i get to rate all my songs again or else the playlists just dont work.

the last thing about it is if i decide a song isnt worthy of 5stars anymore and would like to bump it down to 4, it doesnt work because anything rated through the ipod doesnt matter and gets trashed. which means when i get home i get to figure out which song it was that i didnt wanna hear very often again.

the other thing about that is if you have to hard rate it from your itunes, what the hell is the point of on the fly rating if it doesnt matter and will just get deleted?

while all of this is fairly trivial and pales in comparison to all the things the touch can do. i figured in 8 version of itunes it would be addressed as it adds up and can get very irritating. especially to people like me with slight OCD

Please Register or Log in to view images

this thread was last answered a 2 months ago, anybody figured out anything since then?