(Rant) Why do you need multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zc456, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Zc456

Zc456 Member

So first I thought of an solution that turned out to be unrealistic. Forgive my past threads, I've gotten to the point right now where I want to hurt someone over the same old complaints.

Now I just want an answer to this stupid argument. The iPhone OS is embedded; meaning no windows (no pun intended). So why do you people need it so badly when windows don't overlap each other?

The only reason I can see its use for internet radio stations. Aside from that I think Apple's choice was smart. Most applications on the OS include an auto-save function so your documents and/or games are saved regardless.

I mean, what if your playing a game like NFS and you accidentally hit the Home button while its running? That would just waste countless RAM.

On more thing: Cameras. Tablets aren't household items yet. Sure the software, like Skye, is cross-platform but others may use different software you don't use. Even if you had all of that, the program is embedded, so you would be in it the entire conversation (and last time I checked no one can watch a YouTube vid for more then 5 minutes); then if your friend gives you a link, it might exit the program entirely. Even with multitasking, you would be missing in on whatever action just to look at funny cat video. But wait with webcam going while you watch a youtube going means... SOUND ISSUES!

And everyone is back to complaining again. And guess who gets the blame? Apple.
  2. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

You dont need a GUI that uses windows to multitask. When Im halfway through a mission in GTA or something, and some one IM's me, I have to quit GTA, open Beejive, reply, quit beejive again and then reopen GTA and start the mission all over again. With multi tasking I could just switch to Beejeive, reply and switch back, a la palm pre or whatever. Thats just one example.
  3. oaqque

oaqque New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That not all too much of a problem i guess... But if thats what people want. I'm not all too fussed with this multitasking thing

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. acguy

acguy New Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Oh that's right, you can not remain out of contact with your internet friends for more than 2 seconds or your whole life is worthless. What if that IM was important, like "hey dude how's it goin?" You simply must be able to multitask.

I'm beginning to believe that everyone crying for multitasking has ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and hasn't got the ability to focus on a single task or event for more than 30 seconds.

Doh di doh doh doh, little jimmy is walking down the street listening to his fav new album "ADD Cowboys" on his new multitask capable 500GB Ipod Touch, when "ding dong" an IM comes in on "Bazinga" that great new app that allows video IM's over Wifi with no lag ever. It's one of his 9,054 Facebook friends that he hasn't IM'd with in a little over 45 minutes. "Dude, just found the funniest cat chases dog video on YouTube, you gotta see it NOW!!!!, here's the link". Little jimmy hit's pause on his music, swipes over to the YouTube App and

get's hit by a truck cause he wasn't watching where he was effing well going.

5. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

Just to clarify, you're joking, right?
  6. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I just came from a Windows Mobile device and multitasking (lack of it on the iPod) was the only thing I was concerned about. I was accustomed to being able to switch back-and-forth between running applications on the WM device.

However, I've found that I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would be. I seem to have discovered that I was mainly task-switching on the mobile device not because I needed to as much as because I could. The iPod applications seem to be so well refined and everything flows so well with this UI that it seems to mitigate the lack of multitasking pretty well.

-Max

7. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sound issues unless you're using headphones.

Multitasking at least two applications would be great. That's not much of a RAM eater considering the iPhone OS itself isn't perfect. It even leaves mail.app and other stuff open "just in case" you need them again. That's poor RAM management right there.

For IM-ing they should add something like the music controls. A text area and a keyboard layer on top of the game/application. That would shut up at least 60% of the people complaining about the lack of multitasking (myself including).
  8. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Because it would be more convenient for me.
  9. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Why wouldn't Apple be to blame. Last time I checked it was their product...

Multitasking wouldn't be a memory issue if there was simply a limit to how much memory can be used by the multitasking function at once.
  10. normalcy

normalcy Banned

Same answer works for the question 'Why do you need an iPad?'. You don't need it. You want it because you like it and think you will make use of it.