[RANT] iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tman47, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay okay, I’m sure everyone here will flame the crap out of me, but I just feel like my opinion needs to be stated. I am normally not this opinionated, and at some point in my life I would’ve been considered an Apple fanboy, but this… is just terrible.

Apple has always marketed their products to a spot that they feel average users need a niche to fill. As well as the original Macintosh, being somewhat of a “rebel” against IBM. Take the iPhone, how many people even had a smart phone before this? They revolutionized the smart phone market, as well as change the entire pricing of it, considering a good smart phone used to cost hundreds of dollars.

There’s countless examples of this ploy by Apple, another thing they are able to do successfully is depict the end user as someone special who can truly express themselves through an Apple product, somewhat ironic since the variety among Apple products are slim.

None the less, most people are drawn to Apple based on their creative abilities, Macs are most commonly used to video/photo edit, and iLife is a great suite that Apple always updates these to fit the needs of users.

Basically, patterns have shown that Apple doesn’t always invent the newest products, but innovates them for the front end (and typically college aged) user. Of course they bring new things, such as mobile app popularity (they also were one of the first to use firewire, USB and optical drives). But with the iPad, this trend has been disrupted.

The biggest question anyone should be asking themselves is, what LEGITIMATE use could I justify spending at least half a grand on? And that is a rather hard question, since needing mobile internet is a common use of the iPhone or iPod touch, as well as apps are originally made for these devices, and although the iPad can run these, most of the usability was origianlly made to be used on the iPhone, and any apps that aren’t games (and even some that are) will be awkward for a while, at least until they’re updated for use on the iPad, and even then with the 140,000 apps that could take a while.

Also, as a mobile media player, it’s kinda hard to use this for anything other than video. Who’s gonna sit with this thing listening to music when they could have something they could swallow whole that had as much memory as the iPad and cost literally 10% of the iPad itself?

iWork is not a justifiable reason in my opinion, as the typing isn’t exactly efficient for quick use, and the keyboard dock is so counter-productive that people could just buy a netbook for cheap. Besides, it has been shown that Apple doesn’t devote business productivity as it’s priority. As Apple product have been shown for creative uses, and media manipulation, a good comparison is that Apple still has Microsoft Office as an alternative to iWork, but their suite for iLife is incomparable, and anything that could surpass that is directly supported by Apple itself (Aperture and Final Cut).

Basically, had they done a dumbed down iLife suite, where one could record video and edit it fairly well, and possibly then export it to YouTube automatically. As productivity with iWork is almost useless with no multitasking, and implementation wouldn’t be such a hard thing to do, possibly an expose type application switch.

To sum up, there isn’t much the iPad can do that the iPhone and iPod touch cannot. iBooks aren’t the best thing, especially since an LCD screen can take a toll on one’s eyes, and the pricing and availability of these books aren’t the prime as of yet. And there still isn’t a market for someone who has a dumb or even smartphone and would need a tablet since their laptop apparently isn’t portable enough, and even if one did not have a laptop, $499 is pretty close to getting a usable laptop. It’s not the device itself that is not at it’s potential, but the software needs improvement, and more importantly the price which directly relates to the demand of these types of devices.

I’m sure there’s more I could say, but I want to hear your opinions and some other views on this please.
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You gave a valid argument and I respect your opinions.

However, I think Apple is trying to emphasize a new 'experience' by using this.
    If I didn't have an iPhone, I would probably buy this.

If you were to compare this to the iPod touch, there's no comparison, unless you're focused on mobility.
    It has a much larger screen, and much more powerful hardware. That alone will increase it's productivity and usefulness.

The iPhone, though... is a phone.
    While the tablet may be used for calling and texting (people discussing this in the 3.2 SDK), I can't see anybody using this as a phone; it doesn't fit in your pocket and would be a pain using it as one.

If you want a laptop / MacBook, that's what you want. If you want something smaller, this is the solution.

Just something to think about.

It's not even out yet. There's not much we can say until we personally use it.
  3. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah, I'm not arguing, I'm just venting mostly, I wanna see what other people think and of course we won't know for another two months or so

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I agree.

I strongly feel that many people will change their minds once they actually use it.
  5. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    In my opinion, your opinion is invalid because you haven't actually used the device. I know sooo many people who disregarded the iPhone as 'pointless', and then they actually used it. You can't slam a product this hard before you have even touched it. Excuse the pun.
  6. Touchtacular

Touchtacular New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm waiting to see what kind of apps (and jailbreaking) they develop for it before I begin listening to the nay-sayers. But I respect you for voicing your opinions logically, Tman; there are far too many completely unreasonable and incomprehensible anti-iPad threads on here.
  7. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks guys, I really just wanted some sort of discussion.
    Of course these are preemptive assumptions, but they're backed up with past instances.

But of course jailbreaking could get pretty sick

8. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    iThing

I didn't like His Eminence telling us, with emphasis, it is a "device".

I feel that is all part of Apple Korporate I don't like. And, I thought the problem was His Eminence was away, our hero injured, and needy.

But then, I was offended by his showing the press joke about Moses. I think he should have left it out.

And so, from now on, I will not say, speak, or write his name.

I am not even of that 'persuasion' nevertheless, it was very offensive. Worse, he looked like he pridefully enjoyed the comparison.

I mean, that is like everything I didn't like about Bill Gates and Microsoft: God-like world domination by a demi-god.

Perhaps important to more people, than just me, I didn't like the word "Demo" on the screen. It hasn't been so much time that a "Demo" meant a "Powerpoint" demonstration, or, a CD running a simulation of how fast everything runs, and then, of course it doesn't.

I didn't like the move toward "consumers" which is what I think the iThing represents.

I felt it was all so "1984" ...a mindless entertainment "device".

Hurry, jailbreak the iThing right away. I want it NAO!

Rant!

Quick! Write apps for it that foster intelligence!

I know it will be as revolutionary as the color TV in the 1950's. I say that, because if it isn't just the "Demo" the eye-candy, the TV-series, the Movies, the sports programs, the New York Times and the others news is going to mesmerize, hypnotize, and thrall the public ...which is exactly what color TV did in the 1950's.

Worse, I want one.
  9. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Basically its just an Itouch that has been enlarged and doesn't act as a normal computer. A.k.a it sucks.
  10. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    iWork sounds nice with an external keyboard.