Random iTouch rant

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kith, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Kith

Kith New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok,

A few days ago I bought an ipt3g 64 gig. I've never owned an mp3 player before, and that's all I was in the market for.

I practice poi, the art of fire spinning. (you-tube it if you're curious) One of my spinning partners has an iPod nano, and the other day he brought it to practice. We jammed a few times back and forth using the iPod, and it was a very different experience having the music flow from the inside out.

I decided I had to have an mp3 player, and so started to do my homework. Honestly, until I found this website, my heart was set on a zune (don't hate me). Last time I owned an Apple product was in the late eighties, and I wasn't very impressed. Back then, the ibm compatibles were a lot more open to tinkering, and macs were very...specific... I guess is the best word.

A lot of the people I know have iPods and my sister has a zune. Having played with them both, I found the zune to be a lot more user-friendly. And I hate having my actions dictated to me.

Once I found this website, that all changed. Finally, I can exert control over an Apple device and bend it to my will. As someone else has said here "you gave Apple $x, and they gave you an iPod. You should be able to do what you want with it" (not an exact quote)

Since purchasing my iTouch, I have four gripes:

1- the on-screen keyboard is too small. (can't fix that - machine would become too big and bulky) - I think I can learn to live with this, over the past few days i've found myself becoming more comfortable with it.

2- iTunes = fail. What a horrible way of doing things. From Apple's standpoint, iTunes is awesome. They have total control, and call all the shots. Their way or you don't play. But from a user standpoint...c'mon. why couldn't you just make the dang device show up like a flash drive or memory card and let you work with it directly. iTunes really screws with my music, and it's difficult to get it all to make sense in the program. I'm lazy when it comes to editing id3 tags, and when I backup my music cds I usually just put the bare minimum of information in. I listen to lots of techno, and so lots of 'various' music gets thrown together that shouldn't. I hate the middleman.

3- No expandable memory. The biggest flaw in any iPod is the lack of a memory slot for some kind of a flash card. I know an iPod is supposed to be small and attractive and all, but they make micro-flash cards now. I would absolutely love to be able to use all the digital backups for my movies. Along the way I decided that flash memory cards were the best way to preserve your legal digital backup copy of purchased media, and spent the summer that just passed copying all my movies from my pc hard drive (which has a tendency to fail) to the flash memory (which doesn't).

4- Where do they get off designing the best pocket device in the world, and then making you go and find the software on your own?

I mean, I spent a year without internet access because where I was living my landlord wouldn't allow any 'damage' done to the property. That meant no holes drilled for wiring for cable internet or fios, and couldn't attach a satellite dish to the house. The house was located underneath a mess of high power radio towers, so the phone line was scrambled all the time. You would pick up the reciever, and all you got was spanish radio through the handset. Dsl wouldn't work, even with a line filter. I might have bought an iPod during that time, but without iTunes, it would've been an expensive, pretty paperweight.

And while yes, I probably could have downloaded iTunes at a friends house, put it on a thumb drive, and brought it home - there's no way. I figured if I had to jump through hoops like that just to be able to use the stupid thing, it wasn't worth investing money in their company over. Because for me to do that would've been to tell them they were right, and for the amount of money you spend on an iPod they could at least give you the software to use it with your purchase. I still think that, and you better believe I gave my Apple store rep a hard time over it when I bought the iTouch.

That all being said, I love my iTouch.

It's so sleek and small, even with the case I got for it. It fits very nicely in my pocket, and as a smoker i'm used to an object of about that size in my pocket. It fits well in my hand, and was designed rather well. I'm surprised they got all that stuff into such a tiny package.

I used to work inventory, and we had a machine that attached to your belt with a keypad on it. I got used to typing like that, and the iTouch works well in the same respect. I got an armband holder for it, and I strap it to my upper thigh when I know I won't be wandering around bumping into stuff. It also keeps it out of my pocket and easy to refer to when i'm sitting down.

The music is handled well once you have it on the iPod, and I love the playlist-on-the-fly feature. My mood changes a lot, and not having to be at a computer to work up a new playlist is very handy. Having the volume control on the headphone cord is a huge bonus.

The web browsing ability is crazy. I've never had a portable web device like this, and it's so cool! The way you can on-the-spot magnify stuff is perfect, not clunky at all as i'd assumed. There are wireless hotspots all over my area, so i'm getting a lot of use out of it.

The podcast feature is pretty cool, and I can see myself using it a lot. I've watched a few movies on it so far, and i'm pretty impressed with it. Not laggy or blocky, handles intense action superbly, and gets good marks in my book. Next week 'm gonna grab an a/v cable for it and see how it plays on my friends t.v. If it handles it well, I might even buy a t.v. myself.

I went to the iTunes store and cruised through all the free apps that were available. Found a bunch of stuff that really increases the usefulness of the iPod in my daily life, and thumbs up on that. I've had a few years experience programming in C# (moving up from perl), and I downloded the SDK - looking forward to messing around with writing some apps, especially once I jailbreak my device and can test them on the fly.

I haven't gotten into any games on it, which i'm sure i'll do soon enough, but if it handles games like it does the movies, we'll call this thing an all around slam dunk. I'll be realistic, i'm not expecting it to be like a PSP (any dedicated device does it's job better then a hybrid) or a DS, but i'm more of a passive gamer anyway.

I bought a DS a while back, and got so little use out of it I gave it to a friend of mine. Even hacking it and playing with a tiny os only held my interest for so long. It wasn't really designed to be a fully functioning computer, and I found it too lacking to be very worthwhile. Since the iTouch is a powerul enough unit that was designed to be a pocket computer, I think i'll get a lot more out of this one.

And all this from just wanting a simple mp3 player - Hah! Score a point for apple putting out a quality product. I'd definitely recommend this device to anyone who will listen.

Thanks for listening to my rant ~
  2. daslayakid

daslayakid New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow, I thought this would be like, OMG IPOD SUXXORZ GTFO NOOOBBBB
    But, I had a nice time reading this. Thanks for a good read.
  3. Uchiha1911

Uchiha1911 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Mhm, I kind of have to argument on your gripes:

1) Turn over your iPod 90° and see what happens.

2) I tend to agree on the music thing, iTunes does screw it up here and there (but then again, you can just use Windows Media Player to synchronize your music if you'd really want to). But not being able to use an iPod Touch/iPhone as a flash drive? Bullsh*t. Just pop up Google, search and you'll find what you're looking for

Please Register or Log in to view images

3) 64GB storage.. come on..

4) You do get a manual with that iPod of yours, you know. It's all in there. iTunes may screw around with your music, but synchronizing everything is easy as cake.

When you get into games, you'll be surprised. Visually it's not that bad when comparing it to a PSP (of course it's better, but you get the point).

Anyways, good story

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    i agree with you. A truly random rant
  5. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    iPod Touch 1G with 64GB LMAO (i can get an iPod Touch 3G with 1.1.0 L0L)
  6. Uchiha1911

Uchiha1911 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Wait, what?
  7. halo45121

halo45121 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^Yeah... I have no clue.
  8. ICanHaziPod

ICanHaziPod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Under his avatar it says he has a 1g touch with 64gb memory. it's a simple mistake get over it.