R there lots of hot spots for Ipod Touch???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tomak3, Jul 30, 2008.

1. tomak3

tomak3 New Member

I'm debating whether to get the I Phone or the Touch depending on the ease of access to free wi-fi hot spots for the Touch. Are they every where now due to all the home and business routers? Is it easy to tap into them? I don't need access to the Net 24/7. If I go to a friends house which is set up with a router would my Touch automatically tap into the Net. Thanks for any info on this.

Tom
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The proximity and amount of networks depends on where you live, of course. However, some networks will require a password, meaning you can't connect without permission. You'll find plenty of unsecured hot spots in your travels, but for the best connectivity at any given time, the iPhone is the way to go.

It's up to you. If you have WiFi at your home, and assuming you spend a good amount of your time at home, the iPod will work out fine.

P.S. Welcome to the Forums.
  3. tomak3

tomak3 New Member

Thank you, one other ? while I'm here. Is the Touch on wi-fi as fast as the I Phone on the 3g network?
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The iPod touch with WiFi has faster speeds than the iPhone on the 3G network alone. WiFi is faster than 3G. That's not to say that 3G on the iPhone is slow, by the industry's standards, at least.
  5. tomak3

tomak3 New Member

Thanks again. Helpful.
  6. quick5pnt0

quick5pnt0 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Like somebody said above it really depends on where you live. If you live in a very populated city then there are likely hot spots everywhere. Also if you live in a resort area there are tons of wifi hotspots. My brother usually brings his laptop with him when we go down the shore and there are hotspots everywhere. You could literally sit in the hotel room and get connections from that hotel, and two or three in the area, plus the hotspot from a library across the street!

On the other hand if you live in the middle of nowhere you're not likely to find hotspots unless you go to a shopping area, sometimes the department stores have open hotspots. (on purpose or not)
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    as hellrider said, it does depend where u live. in my city, theres hardly any free wifi spots. the only ones i know of are the ones in mcdonalds. also if u are in the UK and u have and iPhone on contract, u are subscribed to the cloud network which is wifi hotspots in cities.
  8. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i would get the ipod...
    if you want the iphone you might need 3 more jobs...

it is great and take advice from the post above me. and welcomr to the forums.
  9. Dave C

Dave C New Member

I find that connecting via wifi is as simple as can be as the Touch finds any available sources...
    The only problem I find (and I live in a major city) is that most people and business have security (ie: passwords) on their internet access.
    Therefore, I don't find that I'm able to use wifi in a lot of places...
    Again, connecting at home to my wireless router, or any wireless without a password, piece of cake...finding one without a password is a whole other story...
  10. Dis

Dis Banned

Most hotspots [not personal networks etc] aren't free.
    Most likely they are run by T-Mobile, BT, The Cloud, etc.
    You have to pay a monthly subscription to get access to them.