Quicktime Plugin Codecs

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by e.mann30, Dec 15, 2007.

1. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

How can we get quicktime to play other media like wmv , mpeg3 , or avi movies through safari ? I just downloaded all the available codecs from the TCPMP Player and place them in the system/library/video decoders , then went to a website that plays clips. The Safari screen flinched but then that message came up " cannot download file ". The wmv codecs I have are dll file. Where would I put these ? I changed all the permissions for the codecs still nothing. I think we should start working on a project like this so we can play anything from quicktime in Safari mobile. I am willing to test anything on my ipod touch to get it working. They already have a quicktime plugin for MAC called flip4mac , I wonder will this work. I just don't know were to put the dll files or the other files that I have.
  2. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

Moderators

Hey mods , can you change the title of my thread to Quicktime Plugin Codecs , thanks.
  3. F0N3Y

F0N3Y New Member

Dude, putting in codecs for a mac wont work. Its gotta be made for the iPod Touch.
  4. allenmehrer

allenmehrer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yea good idea and nice try but i think the puddle is a little deeper then you first imagined
  5. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

Hey

Thank you for changing the topic. Gets better views this way.
  6. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

if you go on google video and find a video you like, click download file or movie whatever it is and the video will start playing. Even if it's an avi. file.
  7. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

I haven't put anything for mac yet. What I put in was for The Core Player Media Player Codecs ( Tcpmp ) from my pocket pc. What I said was that this software for mac called flip4mac has wmv codecs for the quicktime player to play wmv files . How can I use these codecs to allow quicktime for the ipod touch to work. Everybody is saying that its not going to work , but has anybody tried. I am willing to try if someone would tell me where to put the files on my ipod touch. Where do I put them ? in the quicktime folder , the safari mobile folder , the video decoder folder ? I don't know. I have codec files and codec dll. Guide me , let me try , and if I f^@& up my ipod touch thats on me. I'll buy another one.
  8. e.mann30

e.mann30 New Member

Thanks but

What if I want to go to a certain website just to sample the clips of a movie ? I'm not trying to download the movie file. I just want to be able to play any movie file type in quicktime other than mp4.
  9. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, the thing is you don't seem to understand computers. Can you run Mac programs on Windows (without some sort of emulator)? No. Can you run Windows programs on Mac (without some sort of emulator)? No. Can't run Windows on Linux or Linux on Mac or Mac on Linux.

Why? Because they are different operating systems. They have different underlying architectures. You can't pull Pocket PC files (which is Windows Mobile) over to the iPod Touch (which is Mac OS X Mobile) without a lot of conversion which you can't do with the compiled code - you'd need the source code and a LOT of time. You also can't just yank the code from Mac OS X and drop it onto the iPod Touch. Why? Because they use entirely different processors. It took almost a year for Apple to move their product line and software from PowerPC to Intel processors - and the only reason they were able to do that was because they built into their Intel platforms an EMULATOR to allow the older software to still function.

Dragging and dropping files between platforms isn't going to do anything for you, so don't bother wasting your time. It's not a matter of knowing where to put the files. It's a matter of knowing what is and isn't possible... This isn't...