Quick Review- DLO SoftShell

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by madmaxmedia, Dec 29, 2008.

1. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

I just bought this case and was surprised to not see any posts about it here. There is already a good review at iLounge, but I wanted to rep this case a bit since I really like it. I don't have any pics to post, but the iLounge review has plenty of photos that are pretty indicative of how this case looks.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/dlo-softshell-for-ipod-touch-2g/

My basic desires for an iPod Touch case are as follows:

1. Reasonably priced (no more than $20-$25)
    2. Comes with a screen protector
    3. Soft/ flexible- I prefer a soft case since I feel it will provide some impact protection in case I drop my Touch
    4. Nice looking- there's nothing worse than buying a case that makes your iPod Touch much uglier than naked.
    5. Dockable- I use a dock at home and have a Logitech iPod speaker at work. I don't want to have to remove the case to dock my iPod.

The DLO Softshell fulfills all my criteria. I think it looks really good, the translucent smoky color is better than flat black or flat white IMO, and the pattern on the backside looks nice without being too excessive. It kinda looks shiny in the iLounge photos, but the actual surface of the case is not that shiny, so the diamond patterns on the backside end up looking pretty good IMO- they don't look like fake diamonds or anything like that.

The case is soft but has a very smooth feel and does not attract lint at all, unlike most silicon cases. About the only potential knock would be that the front lip right under the home button is a bit thin and seems like it could be ripped from mishandling, but I doubt it will actually happen. It's not that the case is too thin or weak (the material feels like it will hold up fine), it's just due to the shape of the iPod Touch. That and the fact that the bottom is also cut out for dock compatibility (iLounge has a pic of the bottom.)

The included screen protector is a DLO SurfaceShield, it is a regular (non-matte) shield. It works fine, not much to say about it other than that. You only get 1, so want to be careful as possible not to get dust underneath. My installation went well and I have no dust or bubbles, so it's perfect.

It's the best iPod case I've ever had, my previous favorite was the XtremeMac TuffWrap for the 1G iPod Touch. I bought it last week on sale from Best Buy for only $14 (regular price $20). Either way I think it is a very good deal for a nice case with a screen protector.
  2. kentmaster

kentmaster New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks for the quickreview :]
    i was interested in getting this case and was surprised that there weren't many reviews on it. i have one question though, does the case make the ipod touch feel much thicker than without?
  3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

No prob, I was also surprised to see no reviews. It really is a nice case- similar protection to a silicon case, but much more attractive IMO and also not a lint magnet. If this case ever goes on me, I pretty much know I'm just going to get another one to replace it.

It's pretty similar in thickness to a silicon skin type case, not too thick. And it is molded to fit the curved back of the 2G Touch. I didn't want a case that made the Touch too thick (I could have actually added that to my criteria above), and the SoftShell feels absolutely fine to me. I keep the Touch in my front pocket with my cell phone (cheap SLVR) and it is fine.
  4. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thank you for posting this review. I am currently searching for a good case to buy and I'm not making any quick decisions -- I'm taking my time and searching quite a bit first.
    This case was on my list of possibilities, and I couldn't decide if I should get it or the RebelTouch. Since nobody really had much to say about this one, I chose the RebelTouch. I haven't ordered it yet though...
    The one thing holding me back is that the RebelTouch was rated "D" by iLounge. I find iLounge to be very credible so I'm a bit hesitant to order it.

I wonder if anybody would be able to compare this one to the RebelTouch.

Thanks for getting this one back onto my list of possibilities

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. utternutter

utternutter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks madmaxmedia for drawing some attention to the case! It's a great looking case and I've been intending to get it, but hesitated as I've some questions about it. Haven't seen it in the stores and was going to order it online.

Will a skin like invisible shield or best skin ever fit under it or will it be too tight? Do you think that's necessary at all? It does come with a screen protector, which would make a skin a bit redundant, wouldn't it?

How does it feel like? Soft and smooth, but does it also feel rubbery, oily, sticky or gel-like? Doesn't make those squeeky noises when rubbed, does it?

Is it easy to get on and off?

Is yours the smoky black one? iLounge mentioned that there's a lighter coloured one.
  6. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

Hey guys, just checked back in on the thread. I agree iLounge reviews are very credible- not just the final ratings, but the depth of their reviews. It sounds like not everyone has the same problems iLounge ran into. Also I guess iLounge updated their review and said that SwitchEasy has corrected the problem with the buttons.

I imagine the SoftShell case is thinner since it's one-piece, and easier to remove too. Both cases look nice though. I personally just wanted a soft case for impact protection, but a 2-piece with soft and hard parts is a very interesting idea too.

As I mentioned, the case does come with a screen protector. My back had a small amount of light scuffs BEFORE I got the SoftShell, so it's hard for me to tell if it has scratched the case at all. I don't believe it has, but it's hard to say. With any case, even if the case does not scratch the iPod if you get dust or particles underneath then those may scratch the iPod too. I'm pretty sure a rear protector would still fit with the SoftShell though- the case fits very well, but since it is flexible I think there is enough 'give' for a thin protector on the back. If your iPod is absolutely scratchless on the back and you want it to stay 100% scratchless, a rear skin is probably your best bet.

The clear screen protector has held up very well is and is very good IMO.

The case feels soft and smooth. It is a bit firmer than a silicon sleeve, but is still flexible. It has a smooth, somewhat glossy surface, so it is not sticky and does not attract dust. I wouldn't go as far as to call it oily though. No noises when you rub it.

It is pretty easy to get on and off, which is a plus IMO. The case is form fitted well so the iPod is in no danger of falling out, but it is still easy to get in and out.

I've only seem the smoky one, that's the one I have. The photos in the review are pretty spot-on in terms of color, shade, etc. Just to be clear- the diamond pattern on the backside is on the inner layer of the skin, so the backside of the skin actually feels totally smooth. I think it looks better this way too, as the pattern is visible but not quite as prominent as if the bumps were on the outside.
  7. elletricote

elletricote New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi, thanks for writing the review. Can you see engraving through the Softshell?
  8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

I don't remember how contrasty the engraving is, but my guess is you could see engraving, but only if you looked for it. You probably wouldn't notice that the iPod Touch was even engraved at first glance.
  9. elletricote

elletricote New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  10. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Very nice review. I still haven't purchased a 2G yet, but this is definitely one of my options I'm going to consider case-wise. Thanks for putting this up. Like NickPod, I'm also considering the RebelTouch as well, but there's so many different options for the 2G it's hard to make a choice.

I do have many cases I could use that were sent to me from case companies as extras (thinking that I had a 2G as well) but they're ones from PDO and such and I'm really keen on getting the RebelTouch, one of these DLO cases or a Wave case.