Quick question: Would this wireless USB adapter thingy work with my iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pbz, Dec 18, 2007.

1. pbz

pbz New Member

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10056425&catid=21120

I really want to jailbreak my iPod Touch, but I don't have a wireless network set up; I simply don't need one in my home because I've got just one computer using my internet connection. I don't want to spend too much money and all I'll really be doing is messing around with the WiFi on my iPod Touch from time to time, so I figured that the USB adapter I linked to should be enough.

It's probably a silly question and I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I just wanted to make sure before I ordered it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

It should work. You'll just have to set it up as an ad-hock network so that your Touch can share your wired internet connection. I suggest securing it, or you'll be leaving your PC open to outside access.
  3. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It's uncertain if this will work because this is meant to be a Wireless adapter to connect to a Wireless access point. You need to operate this device as a wireless access point so you can then do Internet Connection Sharing from your PC. I am not certain that this device comes with the necessary software to make it operate like an access point.

An ad-hoc connection might work but I've never personally used an ad-hoc connection for ICS.
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think it should work in internet sharing, but having not tried it myself, no guarantees. You can always pick up an inexpensive wireless router from somewhere like TigerDirect or Newegg - they usually have them for as litle as $25...
  5. pbz

pbz New Member

Ah, now that I think about it, I understand how it works. It allows computers and devices to connect to already existing wireless networks when the USB adapter is plugged in, so that you don't have to bother installing a PCI card or anything like that.

The reason I thought that this product might work is because to get online with my Nintendo DS, which uses WiFi, I bought a Nintendo WiFi USB connector which, when plugged in, creates a hotspot for my DS to connect to and I can just use the internet connection my computer already has without the need for any routers. I figured that the D-Link USB adapter would work in the same way, just not locked to Nintendo products.

Hmm... I'll try looking for an inexpensive wireless router, I guess.
  6. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I own one of these for one of my comps hooked up to a wireless connection.

If it works with my comp it will work with an iPod Touch.
  7. ponechio

ponechio New Member

*Brings dead topic back to life* alright, i was wondering if any one had this figured out. Like has a way to put everything u need onto a usb thumb drive so when i go to school i can plug in the thumb drive, then the usb wifi connector, then get my ipod touch to use it? Because on the computers at school, as soon as u install anything, as soon as the computers r turned off, it gets erased so...... IF any one has a quick FAST and simple way to do this, please share.
  8. wardak

wardak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The question is why...
    Install 1.1.4 and use any of the jailbreaks available, from the much hated zibiri one to the iLiberty ones. I used the zibri because I was impatient, it did everything over USB and its fine.