Quick question re: updating to 3.0 on a jailbroken 2G 2.2.1 iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by davers, Jun 18, 2009.

1. davers

davers New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi everybody.

First of all, apologies if this has all been answered in another thread; it's a little bit difficult to search adequately with such common keywords. I figure many of you will know the answers to my queries immediately, so I didn't think it'd do much harm to start a new thread.

OK, so I've got a 2G iPod Touch, jailbroken on 2.2.1 FW with Redtool.

I have quite a bit of Winterboard customisation going on, but in terms of jailbroken apps I don't have a whole lot - basically SBSettings, BossPrefs, Categories, Clockscreen, Clippy, FontSwap, OpenSSH, qTweeter, Stack and Winterboard.

So, my 4 quick questions:

1) When I upgrade to 3.0, am I correct in assuming that I will have to get a modified version of the firmware (or use a tool to make my own), and then restore to this firmware? Or is there a whole new method?

2) Will I be able to use the jailbreaking tools available to iPhone users (which will no doubt be available in a matter of hours/days), or will I have to wait for a 2G iPod Touch-specific jailbreak?

3) Is there likely to be a method through which I can update to jailbroken 3.0 without disturbing all my customisations too much? I can't be bothered to waste time beautifying my iPod; at the moment I'm pretty much totally happy with how it looks, I just want a bunch of the new features of 3.0, even though they should have been standard (landscape keyboard, mail search, Bluetooth, Spotlight etc.).

And of course, the most irritating question of all...

4) Any idea when all of this will be available for the 2G iPod Touch? I mean, days, weeks, months? We had to wait quite a while for a 2G iPod Touch jailbreak so I wouldn't be surprised if it took a little while. I'm not complaining - I'm happy to wait for it - it'd just be useful to know how long I'll have to wait.

I suppose that for me, with so few custom apps, maybe I'd be better off simply wiping all my customisations, upgrading to the normal 3.0 FW and using that until a 3.0 jailbreak is available. But that all seems like rather a lot of pointless effort if a 3.0 jailbreak is going to be publicly available in under a week...

Thank you all in advance for your help. This place really is a great resource for the more 'casual' iPod Touch users - i.e. people like me who actually use it primarily for music, rather than wanting to hack every little part of it for extra functionality

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ardee

ardee New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sorry to see nobody answered you.

I have similar questions, but about going from 2.2.1 to the now-current 3.1.2. I know about PwnageTool and blackra1n, but neither of those seems aimed at updating a 2.2.1-jailbroken to a 3.1.2-jailbroken iPod while retaining apps & settings.

Anybody have a recipe for that?