[quick newb help]New "windows" inside the app

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by SiXAXiS, Dec 25, 2009.

1. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yeah so i was wondering how can i make like windows within an app? For example...

There is a welcome screen, and you tap a button on there, and it changes the screen to something else.

Thanks!
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Be more specific! There's a lot of ways to do that, depinding how you actually want it to look like!

• Use UINavigationController, like MobileMusicPlayer.app (it's possible to hide the navigation bar on top)
    • Use UIViewController's "modal view" function (you press a "+" button and a sheet is pushed into the screen from the bottom; you press the "i" button and the app flips around)
    • Add another subview (+UIView/CA animations)
    • Let a UIWindow appear in front of your content (there even are methods to make it go in front of the status bar)

You should check out Apple's documentation and other iPhone dev sites to find out how those things work.
    I hope I helped a little!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Cool thanks man, haha im still a complete noob, but i plan on diving into iPhone Development.
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Bad idea. Spend some time with C first. No tutorial (or the documentation) will make sense unless you have some programming experience.
  5. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Agreed. However, you shouldn't be diving too much into C. You should definitely grasp the basics (functions, static typing, ...), but most of the more 'advanced' things (structs, malloc, pointers, ...) are good to know, but don't really apply to Objective-C and may be sort of confusing.

To get started with C and Obj-C, I recommend cocoadevcentral.com. Then move on to iPhone SDK tutorials. (Warning: Stay away from conceited 13-year-old d-bags on YouTube who have no idea what they're doing *cough*appstoremod*cough*)
  6. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I like and recommend C for reasons other than its integral part in Objective-C. Experience in low-level programming, while not exactly a big factor in iPhone development, is very fascinating and undoubtedly beneficial in other programming ventures. If you know what goes on behind the scenes, you can write more efficient code and fully understand the cost of the code you write. It is foolish to blindly use API (Cocoa or other) without having /some/ idea as to what makes it all work.

@OP

If you don't care for intricacies of C, that's fine, but you still should learn /enough/ C.
  7. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Cool thanks for the tips/resources. And yeah, i don't watch little kids on youtube.