quick help with dual booting and hackintosh

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Tman47, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay so i successfully installed mac osx and i have xp running on my main partition, but how do i get to choose between which to boot because right now all it does is automatically boot into xp please help
  2. tipii

tipii New Member

you should be able to press like f12 and then chose which HD to boot from.
  3. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    its the same hard drive, just two partitions
  4. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Not quite sure, but I think you can install a bootloader so you can choose what to install
  5. Unknown-Guy

Unknown-Guy New Member

Was going to suggest EasyBCD but it's only for Vista.

Care to try Ubuntu 8.04, that way you'll install grub and all your trouble will go away.

Hold on I'm trying to remember that bootloader, crap.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I HAVE FINALLY FOUND IT!!!! YAY
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    Downlaod boot into install add Xp and add OSX
  6. Bootloading

As of now, we have a working Windows install, but we haven't got any way to get to OS X. We'll fix that in this section.

1) Open My Computer.
    2) Double-click on the C drive.
    3) Click Tools, then Folder Options.
    4) Click the View tab, then in the scrolling box, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
    5) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)".
    6) Click OK.
    7) Now, you should be back in the C: Drive. Look for a file called boot.ini. Right click on it and select Properties.
    8) Untick the Read-Only checkbox.
    9) Now press OK, then right click again on boot.ini.
    10) Click Open With... then select Notepad.
    11) Make a new line at the bottom and copy and paste this code: C:\chain0="Mac OS X86"
    12) Save the file and exit Notepad.
    13) Now we have to copy a file called "chain0" to the C: drive. This is apparently on the Kalyway disk, but it is very hard to get. Instead, download it from here (RAR file) or here (zip file). Extract it then put the resulting file (chain0 without any extensions) into the root of the C: drive (the same place where boot.ini is located.)

Alternatively, you could get this tboot. A revised version of chain0 loader that supports multi HDD as well as loading OSX on extended partition, unlike chain0. tboot file also goes in C:\, adding the following line to boot.ini

c:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard" 14) Reboot.

If all goes well, you should see a menu that says Windows XP and Mac OS X86 when you start your computer up! Navigate to Mac OS X86 and when it says press any key, press the any key and select the option with the name you gave your hard drive in Disk Utility. Leopard should boot up and you'll be treated to a nice into video, too!
    Good luck with your Hackintosh! .
  7. tipii

tipii New Member

I wish i could get to this point!

I get this error on boot of install CD.

Code:
    IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23
  8. try different disk. send me a message with computer specs and what discs you have tried.
  9. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay so i tried both of those methods but to no avail

with the chain0 i do all the steps required but i always get an error when trying to reboot

i believe it is because i partitioned my hard drive into a C drive and a E drive. the C drive containing my windows xp and wubi linux installation.

the E drive has my mac osx on it. fully installed successfully, i even tried replacing the c with an e in the chain0 code.

but it doesnt work, i think because that partition was formatted for use with a mac and so it doesnt show up under my computer in windows as it did before i installed osx.

im trying the tboot now, both with c and e, but is there a certain file i need? because with chain0 there was, so i dont know what i need, but could someone please help.
  10. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

# Boot into Vista. Copy the chain0 file from the Leopard DVD to C:
    # Open the “Command prompt” with “Elevated Admin” privileges from the Start Menu.
    # Type the following into the prompt

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS X”
    bcdedit /enum active
    bcdedit /set {GUID} PATH \chain0

In the first command type {current} as it is, literally..nothing else..just {current} with the brackets. In the 3rd command however, replace the {GUID} with the alphanumeric GUID you see in the enumerated list under MAC OS X. You can see this list on your terminal as soon as you type the 2nd command above.
    # Close the Command Prompt and Restart Vista.

# You Should now be looking at a screen with two options to boot into Mac OSX or Vista.

That might help?