iOS 3.1 Questions Regarding Ipod Touch and Firmware/Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by OaxChuy, Mar 14, 2010.

1. OaxChuy

OaxChuy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Hello...

I decided to finally jailbreak my touch, but have a few questions. I've gone through numerous threads, but can't find answers that are direct enough. It'd be great if any of you could help me out here.

First of all, I am still on the 2.2.1 firmware. I discovered that you can use this website to simply download new firmware and update for free.

I would probably upgrade 3.1.2, as that's the latest firmware that you can jailbreak. My question is if the Ipod Store lets you update to 3.1.2? I think it only lets you update to 3.1.3, which you can't jailbreak.

So, I guess I would have to use *READ THE RULES* and update to 3.1.2.

Another question is if I should jailbreak my Ipod Touch with my current 2.2.1 firmware, or is it better to upgrade to 3.1.2 for free (*AGAIN, read the Rules about Paid Firmware*) and then jailbreak?

Are there any benefits from jailbreaking from certain different firmwares? Also, are there any differences between using different programs to jailbreak, such as blackrain or redsnow?

I remember reading that when jailbreaking with 3. firmwares, some are tethered?

Thank You!
  2. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I wouldnt use the firmware from there, because it is paid, and illegal. However, if you choose to ignore my warning, and upgrade, i will answer your questions.
    1. The iPod Store, or iTunes, will let you upgrade to 3.1.2. Also, 3.1.3 is jailbreakable by redsn0w
    2. I would stay on your current firmware and not upgrade, since you are trying to get paid firmware for free.
    3. One of the major differences is that blackra1n requires wifi to install cydia, while redsn0w does not
    4. You will not be tethered
  3. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Buy your firmware and everything else moin said.
  4. OaxChuy

OaxChuy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, for the answers, moin. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind...

What could go wrong if I use the firmware that is paid and illegal?

1) 3.1.3 is jailbreakable by redsn0w, but it would be tethered, now?

Are there any benefits from jailbraking with 2.x filmware, rather than 3.x?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    How can I buy 3.1.2 firmware from the Apple Store/Itunes, since that is the latest firmware that is jail breakable without being tethered (if I've read correctly throughout the forums)?

On the upgrade button, it only says to upgrade to 3.1.3

Thanks, SoBe.
  5. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You can't upgrade to 3.1.2 legally, as Apple stopped signing the firmware. However, you CAN jailbreak 3.1.3, as you have a 2g. Use redsn0w for that. Also, see the rules about piracy, which were in the rules you agreed to upon joining the forums.
  6. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, although to jailbreak 3.1.3 with redsn0w, you need a 3.1.2 .ipsw.
  7. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    illegal fw = no no. you can jb 3.1.3 with redsn0w. where you get the 3.1.2 ipsw is up to you, i don't wanna get infracted again.