questions on VNC/PC apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by Johnny Quest, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Johnny Quest

Johnny Quest Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I was just wondering what is the reason for VNC and the other one PC? I mean, what are you able to do with a remote on your ipot that controls your computer? should you just use your mouse?
    can someone shed some light. thanks.
  2. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    VNC is useful to control your computer when youre not near it. And its fun.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Johnny Quest

Device:
    iPhone 6
    but you have to be within a certain distance? I know when I'm at work and wished that I can show somebody something lets say a design, can I pop it up and show them on my ipot?
  4. evanmrules

evanmrules New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah you can do that. there is actually some ways to make it so you can view your computer with out being on the network it is on. but i forgot.. but to answer your Q. yeah that would work
  5. Totally 1337

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    its easier to use in your local area network (LAN), but you can set up port fowarding (i think) which lets you access it from anywhere.
  6. Johnny Quest

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Sounds pretty neat. I thought it was just something where your ipot acts like your touchpad or something. Does your computer have to be on while you're away from home in order to access it?
  7. Totally 1337

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah it has to be on.

Although i did see an application called iWOL (WOL= wake on LAN) which would apparently turn on your computer.......somehow.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Blackness

Blackness New Member

Its pretty easy. You don't need to have a "static ip address" which are expensive. If you use your iPod or iPhone wirelessly around the house then there is a chance you have a router.

Well on some routers they have a dynamic ip address service which you can link up to your router and keep a static ip address.

So when you are away you can just enter the address that you got from a web service such as dydns.org or some other ones and jump on your computer.

Before that though you need to open port 5900 on your router by assigning a static ip to the computer that has the server side vnc installed so it will know what pc your going into.

Theres a lot of tutorials online just look for one. Its pretty cool knowing you can go into your pc from 1000 miles away.
  9. Johnny Quest

Device:
    iPhone 6
    thanks I'll give it a try and this new app in the app store just came out is called "PC" maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks again.