Questions on iPhone jailbreak and iBSS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TooGoodAtCOD4, Sep 9, 2009.

1. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am the first to admit my knowledge in the iphone area is lacking.. (appologies ahead of time).

I am considering purchasing an iphone and using it as an ipt w/ wifi until my contract runs out with Verizon (soon). First, no matter if it's the 3G or 3GS, what is the plausability of doing this? Also I would plan on not having a SIM card in it. Would that cause me problems? I'm sorry if these questions are basic as hell - trying to learn. I have read that AT&T can somehow track the use of iphone for just wifi. I am not an AT&T customer.

There is some confusion also about what exactly iBSS is and how it works/ how it would affect the use of the iphone as a temporary ipt. I would absolutely want to jailbreak it as well. (Obviously, b/c I'm willing to bet I would have to do this in order to use it as an ipt.) If anyone has a question, I will be glad to fill in the blank if I didn't provide enough info. Thanks again.

TooGoodAtCOD4
  2. gookie_cookie

gookie_cookie New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i got the same issue man, im just planning to use mine as a touch, i have a touch but im gonna sell them both off cause its pointless to have all 3 of em.

i think u can just jailbreak it and it will unlock the sim problem, or use a pay as u go sim from rogers and just do that, but im thinking they would have some sort of serial key registered in there system so they know if ur using a different phone
  3. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    haha i hear you. Apparently of all the people that know so much on these forums don't know the answers to ours (any probably many others') questions??
  4. gookie_cookie

gookie_cookie New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ye man, no one seems to be helping, il google around and see what i can find, im sure were probably like the 4209430942 persons to run into the problem, and im sure by the 100th person there was a solution created lol
  5. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    definitely... I've actually googled for it already, but one of my problems is that I don't understand the basics to SEARCH FOR IT!! lol idk....
  6. gookie_cookie

gookie_cookie New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    u can jailbreak it, thats what people do, but im gonna call the carrier first and try asking them to cancell it, il just say i found a better deal lol
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    im gonna jailbreak it, i dun no what firmware it is, il try using the latest tho lol
  7. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well i don't have one yet haha... my main concern is about the sim card and the ability to use it w/o one.
  8. gookie_cookie

gookie_cookie New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i tired jb it doesnt work, some sort of lock software on it, grrrrrrrrr im gonna try the sim method, put sim in activate and then cancell
  9. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    word. That's why I was asking about this iBSS thing. I think it has something to do with the jailbreak and making it happen. IDK.
  10. gookie_cookie

gookie_cookie New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ye no one seems to be helping, i say put the sim in unlock and then jb it, then cancell ur service, what are they going to do? lol