iPhone 3GS questions on iphone 3gs jailbreaking please read

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamebuster24, Oct 3, 2009.

1. gamebuster24

gamebuster24 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    im about to upgrade from my ipod touch to the iphone 3gs . when i unbox the iphone and plug it into the computer, how do i jailbreak it from there on?
    dont i need to activate the phone first in order to start the jailbreakin process? if i do, doesnt that lead me to having to get the data plan first? how do i do this? LOL please reply. thanks
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Currently the 3GS is not able to be jailbroken on 3.1. It can be upgraded via Pwnage Tool (Macs only) but you have to have the 3GS currently running 3.0.X.

Activation can be done a few ways (unless something changed in the 3.1 that I'm unaware of).

What carrier are you hoping to use? Since the 3GS is currently un-jailbreakable (there will be a way around this eventually) it is also not able to be unlocked so you are stuck with AT+T (assuming you are in the U.S.).
  3. gamebuster24

gamebuster24 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i see. so lets say the 3gs is in 3.0 out of the box,( even tho u cant tell unless its activated).. i can jus use pwnagetool or redsnow to activate it right? then from doing so, it also unlocks the iphone, without the need of goin over the activation on itunes?

also, i heard bosspref can block the 3g signal meaning it wont be using the data plan.. but do i still get charged even if im not using it?
  4. bennybut

bennybut New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I need urgent help!!

My problem is i have just received a iphone 3gs from the US (I'm in the UK) and it needs activation before i can jailbreak/unlock it.

Cant tell what firmware version its running - any ideas/solutions??

Thanks
    Benny
  5. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

If you can find a 3GS running on 3.0 (or 3.0.1) that has never been upgraded to 3.1 then yes you can use Pwnage Tool or Redsn0w to hactivate and jailbreak it. Once it is jailbroken you can then use UltraSn0w to unlock it.

There are two ways I usually do this; easiest way is to use a SIM card from an "official carrier" (i.e. AT+T in the U.S.). The SIM does not have to be an active SIM card but just something the iPhone can recognize. Put the SIM card in and plug it into iTunes. It will try to go through the activation process but I usually eject the phone before it gets to far. That will unlock the activation screen so you can then check the version (firmware) and the modem firmware (baseband).

The other way would be to restore the phone to a custom firmware and hactivate it. However, if the phone was on 3.1 the baseband would have already been updated and at least for now it is not able to be downgraded or unlocked.