Questions before I Buy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kargo, May 30, 2008.

1. Kargo

Kargo Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hi Guys, Im planning to buy an iPod Touch in a matter of weeks, but I would like to ask a few questions before I do.

1) Ive heard about an installer thing called "installer.app" - is this available on all ipod touches or do you need to jailbreak to get it?

2) is it worth jailbreaking an ipod touch or is it best to wait for the App Store?

3) I listen to this station quite a bit and would love to be able to listen to this on my Touch through Wi-Fi. the station ends in listen.pls . will the ipod touch be able to play this .pls file, by using applications or the web browser itself?

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1) Yes, you need to jailbreak to get installer.app, there are many easy ways and guides to do so

2) Since the AppStore is Due in a matter of days, i would wait for it, but good question, have a look around the threads to see what you would prefer. here are some reasons for each

Appstore:

- Good quality games/aps
    - No risk of crashing or damage to ipod/iphone software
    - Much more stable

Installer.app

-Free EVERYTHING
    -Mods & Tweaks
    -Themes and full customization

3) Im not sure

hope this helps
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Let me correct you on Installer.app

-ALMOST Everything is Free. Some people will continue to charge for their Apps. Remember that. Not everyone paid the money to become a full AppStore apple developer or were accepted into the Program.

-Don't forget Fixes, And possible Malware.

As to the Original Poster and your questions:

You get Installer.app from using one of the various Jailbreak Applications available to you. Applications such as iLiberty+, iDemocracy, iJailbreak, etc.

It doesn't matter. Just do a wait and see. You can still have both any time you please after 2.0 is released.

It is not currently known. Though an application may be created to play those files/radio station.

Also, it seems that you are trying to promote the radio station. This is your first post and there are rules against advertising.
  4. Kargo

Kargo Member

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks to both of you for your replies

Oh I really wasnt trying to promote the station in anyway, I just thought maybe someone could test it out to see if it would play on the ipod touch but I fully understand why people may think thats why I posted it. Ive now edited the original post.

Do we know how much the upgrade is going to cost yet? and also, is it known whether any new ipod touch generations will be released anytime soon? - It seems everytime I buy an ipod I lose out as the month after a new model is released. This happened when I Bought the ipod mini in 2005 and it was discontinued a month later and then in 2007 I bought a 2nd Gen iPod Nano and within weeks a 3rd Generation one was released.
  5. EvanTDM

EvanTDM New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    installer has some illegal stuff like Bios and emulator. it has tweaks like summerboard and customize. but appstore has really high quality apps and there is really no crashing
  6. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks for correcting me teslanaut

, but can i ask, what is iDemocracy?
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Some other Jailbreak tool lol. Also has tons of other features like backup (apparently) I tried it and it crashed.

You can find it here: http://www.drakenza.com/Welcome.html

Its for both Windows and Mac OS X.