Questions before buying iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakeMan, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Like the thread title says, I have some questions about buying an iPad. I've seen how it now supports Pages, Keynote and Numbers, and it seems like it would be very useful for me in school, as I always lose track of my notes.

I already have my mind set on the 16GB model (I don't plan on loading it with music/movies), so that should be plenty of space for me. Its main use will be entertainment at home and school work, not much else.

I also have a 32GB iPod Touch 3G that has only 5GB of music/movies/apps on it, which I use as my primary texting device, and also for music, games, FB, and Skype. The reason why I have the 32GB model is for the faster hardware and the microphone built into the headphones.
    -If I buy an iPad, it will become my FB/Skype device, so my iPod will then only be used for texting, music and games.
    -I also use my iPod to text when I go places; it's basically a WiFi phone.

My first question is should I upgrade to the iPad WiFi + 3G? I can see myself using it in the car, maybe at school (school has WiFi in some areas), but not many other places. I would like to have 3G, but seeing as I won't have too much use for it I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $130.

My second question is should I exchange my iPod for the new 4G that should release soon? My thinking is that Apple will have a similar line of iPods (8GB, 32, 64) and they will all have the same hardware. So I think exchanging my iPod for an 8GB 4G will save some money ($100 guesstimating, and my warranty is valid for a few more months).

My third question is should I buy a case for my soon to be iPad? I already have my mind set on an anti-glare screen protector, and I'm thinking about getting a case too. If so, which case should I get? I'd rather not pay over $50 for a case. I just need something that would keep the device safe and cover the front a little to seal the screen protector edges, if you understand.

Thank you everyone in advance for your feedback!
  2. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3

1- If your going to use it in majority in areas with wi-fi don't fool yourself into thinking you will benefit with 3G for that small amount of time you wont be in a wifi zone.

2- If you have an iPad, stick with your current iPod touch as a portable music device, as presuming now you would have an iPad the iPod touch would be used just for music - pointless upgrading for extra features - if your just using it for music.

3- Definitely buy a case, check around the forum and search on google for iPad cases, must have for protection and also they should be well under $50.
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

If you really see yourself using the 3G a lot and you don't mind paying the monthly bill, go for the 3G model.

If you want to trade your iPod for the new one that comes out, I recommend selling your iPod on eBay/craigslist because Apple won't give you much for it.

You could check out these cases: click. I personally use this case so I can throw it into my school bag.
  4. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
  5. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Very nice case you linked, but I'm looking for something that covers the iPad. I'll take a look in the iPad Case section of the forums. Also, I can brick my iPod and Best Buy will give me a full refund in store credit, just can't tell them what I did

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Qwedgeonline

Qwedgeonline Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Something I've noticed that Apple's been doing lately with all of their computer refreshes, is that even with the new features and hardware, they still price it the same as the old one. Maybe this will be the same for the iPod 4G. As for an iPad, it just depends on how many WiFi signals are in the area around campus, and WHEN you need the internet access.
  7. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How strong is the WiFi? I know how strong my MacBook and iPod are and which one goes to what limits.

I'm only in high school, and it's a really small campus. As far as I know there's two student hotspots (library and cafeteria), but I have the faculty network keys. The WiFi only reaches a few spots, not really any classrooms. If I used internet in school, 3G would really help me but seeing as I probably won't, 3G seems useless for school. But then there's times I'd like to use it like road trips, but usually I'm driving.

That's where I face my problem, I'd like to have it but I probably won't need it. Should I go the extra yard to have 3G when I may not use it a lot, or just stick to the WiFi only model?
  8. Qwedgeonline

Qwedgeonline Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Well, it seems that you already have a MacBook and iPod, so buying an iPad seems kind of, well, pointless. It's an in-between device, but you already have the "main" devices that create it. I would actually suggest skipping the iPad, and buy an iPod touch 4G if it's any good. And if not, wait for the 2G iPad.
  9. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My MacBook can't leave home, only for special occasions (presentations, projects) can I bring it to school. I plan on buying the iPad on my own at a Best Buy so my parents don't know and try to control it. That's also why I'm looking into it.
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

In my experience, my iPad's wifi strength isn't as strong as my Macbook's wifi strength, but it is a bit stronger than my iPod's wifi strength.