questions about unlocking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lakers123, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lakers123

lakers123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok so im looking into getting an iphone on ebay so I dont have to pay the contract and ive already read the stickies on unlocking but I have some questions:

1. once I jailbreak it can I put the sim from my other att phone and use ultrasnow to unlock it or do I need a new sim card?

2. once unlocked can I use bossprefs or sbsettings to turn off 3g/edge because I dont have a data plan and dont want to get charged for one?
  2. Wilfred

Wilfred New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. If the iPhone you've purchased is locked to a network, you'll need the sim from that network to activate and unlock the phone. (unless you hacktivate it etc...)

ie. If the iPhone is locked to AT&T you may use any AT&T sim card to activate the phone.

2. Yes, you'll be able to disable 3G/EDGE.
  3. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OR, you could delete the APN in the settings and be sure youre not charged for DATA while still having 3G.
  4. N130

N130 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Another Question

My 16GB 2G iPod touch has been my means of communication since March and its time to get a phone. I'm interested in getting an iPhone 3G off of ebay or craigslist to use with T-Mobile (Prepaid), I'd be on Wi-Fi most of the time but I would like to have a data connection for AIM, Maps, etc. when I'm not at home (I don't need unlimited data), a $10 prepaid card lasted me 2 weeks with my Sidekick Slide. My brother jailbroke his 8GB 1G iPod touch about 2 weeks ago and now its bricked so I don't want to jailbreak the iPhone because of that, I read about various sim card adapters and I wonder if those would work without the iPhone having to be jailbroken.
  5. lakers123

lakers123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    the best way would be to jailbreak and use ultrasnow. on a side note will turning off data on an unlocked iphone still allow the gps to work?