Questions about my new iPod touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by smint03, Feb 7, 2010.

1. smint03

smint03 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just got myself an iPod touch 1g, got it used without any box for a great deal but I have a few questions about it maybe someone can help me with. Simple stuff really...

1> it has a kind of plastic lamination on the screen and over the black parts of it which is getting tatty and scratched, its stuck on pretty tight but would it be ok to remove it and use it without?

2> Im not sure why but almost all of my songs have doubled themselves, ie when I play without shuffle Ill listen to each song twice haha. What caused this and how can I fix it easily?

3> I want to use it with "My Computer", is that possible?

4> (ok last one i promise) I want to use it to make skype calls, is there any affordable headphone mic set that I can use with 1g?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks a lot for any help.
  2. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. yes that can be removed

2. try deleting all your songs and putting it all back on, make sure that there aint doubles in the library also

3. There is no disk mode, however if you take a screen shot of your ipod screen by pressing the home button and the home button together, a drive should show up but this is only for storing pictures but im sure there are thousands of pieces of software that allow you to browse the ipod touch in its program

4. AFAIK the headphone port only supports output so you wont be able to plug in a mic and use it

Dont worry about it, your new, I had so many questions when I was new to the ipod touch
  3. smint03

smint03 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks! Relating to 3, is there any software, a very simple type that you could suggest?
    For number 4, I heard there are mics that you can use through the ipod port for 1g. Is that true?
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    3. use iFunBox of iPhoneFolders. You can only access the root folders if you are jailbroken but using these programs will allow you to manage certain areas of the drive and use it as a storage device.

4. Not sure. I don't think the 1G has a mic input. Search up on the forums and I'm sure you'll find some better info. Try searching for 'button mic' as I seem to remember there was a thread discussing this subject there.
  5. Magnum

Magnum New Member

3. You will have to jailbreak your iPod, which can be done VERY easily.

4. I dont think the iPT 1G has input features. You can probably buy the Apple Remote and Mic combo (I have it and it is SWEET) But if it doesn't work, return it.
  6. smint03

smint03 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok thanks, i have it jail broken already, just the mic thing i guess i have to keep searching around. problem is i cant find any free recording software that will work. everything either tells me its not compatible when i try to download it, my version is out of date because of jailbreaking, or when i try to use it the app tells me on the ipod that i dont have a mic and cant record.

Anyway more important right now, er, I hate to say this but I removed the plastic laminate last night and i really dont think i was supposed. apart from there being rough edges around the screen and it just looks a bit unfinished... i used it for just 10 minutes after that and it had so many tiny scratches on the screen just from my fingers... and of course i do not use nails! If I take it to a licenced apple shop would they be able to put a new laminate back on for me?? or are there any other kinds of screen protectors I can use?
  7. Magnum

Magnum New Member

update it to v. 3.1.2 and rejailbreak it. You get a voice recorder app built in. Might I suggest to get Dragon Dictation too.
  8. smint03

smint03 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does anyone have any answer to my last question? Is it possible to relaminate my ipod at an apple shop or somewhere? Or what kind of product could I use to protect the screen? Right now its pretty much unusable...

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

I have no idea what you are referring to. It sounds like a screen protector, although if it was, removing it would expose the glass, which is very hard to scratch. Could you take a picture so we can see what you mean?
  10. linkiboy

linkiboy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Former first gen owner here....

The iPod slot mic will only work on firmwares 1.x so you're out of luck in that respect. The laminate is a screen protector you can buy at several online stores. HOWEVER. I only used mine on the back of the iPod to stop scratches on the chromy finish. The glass should not get scratched under normal usage.