Questions about jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jeffjeffpika, Mar 27, 2008.

1. jeffjeffpika

jeffjeffpika New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hello all. I'm finally getting my Ipot tomorrow! Yipee!

Ok, before jailbreaking it, I have a few questions:

As I'm only buying it tomorrow, I assume that the firmware version is 1.1.4 (unless that I'm so unlucky that I'm getting an old Ipot which was kept in the storeroom since it was newly released). From Ipodtouchmaster's videos, it seems that I will need to downgrade it to 1.1.1 before jailbreaking it.

So, my question is - when I downgrade it to 1.1.1, will I lose the 5 applications (maps, notes, etc.)? Is jailbreaking some sort of "formatting"?

When I restore my Ipot (for whatever reason), will my Ipot be restored to 1.1.4 (with the 5 apps returned)? Assuming that my Ipot is 1.1.2 when I restore it, how does ITunes know that my Ipot was originally 1.1.4? Are there some codes in my Ipot that tells Itunes when it was manufactured, and what was its original firmware version?

Yes, I've searched for these answers, but without success. And although this is my first post, that doesn't mean that I'm new here. I've been a member of this forum since January , and had been checking this forum almost everyday. The only reason that I am still puzzled about a few things is because I do not own an Ipot then. So, merely reading posts doesn't really make me know more about Ipot easily.

Well, that's all. Thanks.
  2. 01geoffg

01geoffg New Member

All you need to do is download iLiberty+ from
    http://ipluspwns.com/
    and follow their instructions.
    No need to downgrade anymore.
    Hope this helps.
  3. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    when you download iliberty and run it it sees that you have an iPod and only one button will be availinke to click.
  4. jeffjeffpika

jeffjeffpika New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok thanks. How about my question about restoring?
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    your iPod will be automatically restored to the newest firmware if you restore normally.

And the 5 apps will return; they are assigned to your serial number which never changes.
  6. DaN_Himself

DaN_Himself New Member

It's something like this....

This were kinda the same questions I had..
    Anyway, I bought the iPod one or two days ago and from my personal experience, let me try to solve your puzzle.

1: If your iPod comes with the extra apps (maps, mail, youtube, etc), it will probably be in FW 1.1.3 just as mine.
    Don't worry if you ever need to restore your iPod, the apps will be there (I dunno about downgrading the FW, but as long as you have 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, the apps will be there when you restore your iPod for any reason).
    About the Jailbreak: No, it's not like formating and you don't have to downgrade. It's kinda "unlocking" extra features like the installer app, wich lets you install 3rd party apps, themes and utilities (even VoIP, if you buy a mic for the touch).
    Okay. That sounds wonderful right? Well, it isn't. You can get all kinds of errors when you try to jailbreak your device. I sugest you do it with iLiberty+, 'cause so far for the 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 is the safest method. BE SURE to NOT install the "move ringtones and bla bla bla" payload, 'cause it's gonna crash.
    Just select the installer payload and you should be fine.
    After you JB your iPod, you might get some issues with the youtube app and the mail app. I had and I have not yet found a solution (yes, I searched the forum 1000 times, tryied everything and so far, nothing).
    So I had to restore my iPod and now it's unjailbroken again (just like out of the box).

Anyway, I don't think it's possible to ruin your iPod by jailbreaking, 'cause you can always restore back to factory settings.

Good luck and I hope I answered most of your questions...

Please Register or Log in to view images

DaN
  7. jeffjeffpika

jeffjeffpika New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok. Thanks for the help everyone. I got my Ipot yesterday and it's 1.1.3