Questions about ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zappa, Feb 24, 2009.

1. zappa

zappa New Member

Hi, im thinking to buy an ipod touch, however I got a few questions.

How can I distinguish between first generation or 2G ipods? Is there a 3G one?

Can you say which version is this one? http://www.hifi.lu/detail_produit.php?id_prod=4919851780453

I see here on the forum a guide to downgrade from 2G to 1rst generation. It doesn’t make sense to me, why downgrade?

I know I can buy songs from iTunes, yet I have tons of songs in mp3 already. Can I play them freely or ill have any problems with copyrighted material?

Can I install apps (developed by me or by other) freely or can I only install them through Apple Store? Assuming yes, and that ill have to use some kind of crack, will that have any implications on my future use of iTunes or Apple Store?

Is it possible to play java browser games? And other pre compiled java games?

Does it allow to make voip calls?

That’s all I remember for now, thanks in advance for your time.
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is no 3G. See here for the answer to your other question.

That is a 2G iPod Touch

You have misread something. You cannot downgrade a 2G to a 1G as they are descriptions of the hardware models, the 2G (2nd Generation) being the newer model. You are probably confusing it with a thread on downgrading the firmware (the OS software) from the newer 2.* firmware versions to the older 1.* firmware versions, which is something completely different.

Yes you can add any MP3s you already have on your computer. You add and sync them to your iPod Touch via iTunes

On a standard device you can only install Appstore applications. If you jailbreak your iPod Touch then you can add other non-Appstore apps (through the Cydia or Installer applications). This will not affect your use of the Appstore or iTunes but you should educate yourself about the pros and cons of doing this, especially if you are purchasing a 2G iPod Touch as there is only a 'tethered' jailbreak currently available.

No, Java is not currently available on the iPod Touch.

Yes, for example you can make Skype calls via the Fring application.

No problem, next time though please spend some of your own time doing some reading first before you ask. I would recommend you browse some of the stickied topics in the iPod touch General Chat forum
  3. helehole

helehole Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    its a itouch 2g
  4. zappa

zappa New Member

Thanks!
    Yes i meant a firmware downgrade from 2G to 1G. Why people do that?

By 'tethered' jailbreak you mean a jailbreak still under development? like a beta version or something?
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Again it is NOT a downgrade from 2G to 1G (G = generation) it is a downgrade from 2.* firmwares to 1.* firmwares. As to why people do it... because they want to...

No, tethered means you must have your iPod Touch connected to your computer every time you reboot otherwise the jailbreak won't hook.

Can I suggest you go and spend sometime looking around the forums and reading now please. You will learn a lot...