Questions about Ipod Touch as a viable PDA

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jcsmilez, Jul 7, 2008.

1. jcsmilez

jcsmilez New Member

I have my own business with several contacts in various locations and am considering an IPod Touch as I am intrigued by its contacts management, maps, and calendar capabilities. Anyone currently using their Touch as a PDA? How is it working for you?

I would like to be able to manage my contacts, look up and map addresses, and update my calendar events while keeping all of the informations synced with my macbook pro. Will I be able to use the Touch as a GPS by looking up an address at a Hot Spot then saving the map and/or at least have access to it when away from the Wi-Fi? Will I be able to sync these applications with my Pro through MobileMe or with a USB cable?

Also, while I see the mp3 option as an added benefit it is not the primary reason behind this purchase. I am not sure how much memory these applications + my contacts (is there a limit) + maps + my calendar events + some music files will take. What size would you recommend for these purposes? Thanks in advance!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    is ur Ipod jailbroken? and welcome to IPTF

3. xLucky7

xLucky7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I dont think he has once since he says "....primary reason for the purchase."
  4. organerito

organerito New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The Iphone has GPS. The Ipod touch doesn't. I have a Tungsten E2 and the only app that I don't have in the Ipod touch is an office suite. Hopefully, it is coming out oin july 11th. I don't use my tugnsten since I hace my ipod. I can sync contacts and calendar with outlook. I t would be nice to sync also Notes. I am almost sure it is going to become a very good PDA after july 11th. Some of the companies that writte apps for Palm are going to write for the Ipod Touch. Some people have said here that there 4000 apps on launch day.
  5. jcsmilez

jcsmilez New Member

Thanks for the welcome. No, I don't have one yet. It looks like I can get one free at the education store on Apple.com if I buy a mac. I already have a Macbook Pro and am trying to justify purchasing another one because that is just an incredible deal!

I know that the IPod doesn't have GPS but it has maps (I am assuming like Google Maps?) that I imagine I can only access when I have a Wi-Fi connection. My hope is that I can pull it up at a Hot Spot and keep access to my map after I am no longer connected to the internet (I do this on my comp all the time, but a Touch would be so much smaller and more convenient).

Forgive me for being behind the times - but what is happening July 11th I thought the big firmware update was supposed to happen in June - was it delayed or is this another one?

Any suggestions on size - I figure atleast a 16GB but am looking for justification for a 32... Thanks!
  6. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Don't buy an iPod

Buy an iPhone It will save you the troubles
  7. jcsmilez

jcsmilez New Member

No IPhone for me. I have a phone that I am satisfied with and I don't want to pay a ridiculous monthly data plan for it. I don't even pay for text messaging on my current plan! I like that with the Touch I can buy and be done with that - I'm just still trying to figure out the specifics.

8. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok so you have your own business.

this is how you can cut your cost.

If I where you I would sell your iPhone get the new one with the Business application. and go on with my life.

Now if all you want is a PDA

Jailbreak your iPhone to any version you want, and then add all the Applications that you need in order to be able to use it as a PDA.

Best thing you can do man.
  9. jcsmilez

jcsmilez New Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the IPhone.. but I currently don't have one and am really content not getting one. What I am interested in is the IPod Touch which is how I found this message board.

Is anyone currently using their Touch as a PDA that can answer my original questions? Any suggestions on which one to get 16GB or 32GB?

Thanks.
  10. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well go for the 16 and i do use it as a PDA, the only problem i see so far is that contacts doesnt have a search bar. Other than that its the best you can use. It has perfect directions you can use with the use of cache so you can view the maps later. The internet is awesome, and you can touch the address on the contact to view it in maps! its a marvelous piece of equipment for buisness and personal use.

This is an accurate representation of the ipod as a pda