Questions about going from 3.0 to 3.1.3 on iPod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Runner400, May 9, 2010.

1. Runner400

Runner400 New Member

Hey everyone,

I've been doing a bit of reading up since Spirit was released and just haven't been able to find answers to a few questions, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I currently have an older gen iPod Touch 2G that is currently jailbroken on 3.0 (7A341). I jailbroke it over a year ago using redsn0w and all is well... Well there's quite a few apps now that require 3.1.x so I'd like to update.

So my questions are:

1) My understanding is that to update to 3.1.3 what I'd do is use iTunes to upgrade, then Spirit to jailbreak. Is this correct?

2) Currently my iPod is sync'd to iTunes 9.1.1.12 (so all the apps, etc are living in harmony). If I use iTunes to update to 3.1.3 then jailbreak with Spirit will I lose any data on the iPod (apps, music, etc.) and have to reinstall everything, or will the data persist after the upgrade and then again after the jailbreak?

3) Any suggestions to back up my SHSH blobs via Cydia or using Umbrella? From what I understand after reading this is only necessary if you a) have an iPhone and b) if it's a new gen device that hasn't been jailbroken before. Am I right here?

4) Any other caveats I should be aware of?

Thanks you very much in advance,
    -Mike
  2. Airion

Airion Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    1. You update to 3.1.3 then you jailbreak using spirit

2. You will not lose anything after the jailbreak. It is only if you restore, you lose everything unless you back up. So the answer is no, you will not lose a thing. Use aptbackup to backup cydia apps.

3. ih8snow.com i think the site is... then look at the top left.
    It is only if you want to be able to downgrade.

4. That's pretty much it!
  3. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Updating to 3.1.3 will make you lose all of your apps though
  4. SuperMario

SuperMario Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    no don't use aptbackup! use rock/rock your phone because you can backup your apps on there. Restore to 3.1.3, jb with spirit, install cydia and rock and restore from backup in rock.
  5. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    or... .you can use redsn0w for the MB model 3.1.3