Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Qadir, May 20, 2008.

1. Qadir

Qadir New Member

I'm going to be ordering an 8GB iPod touch on Friday, but before I do I have a few questions.

If I buy the version which has the "new software update" or whatever, will I still be able to jailbreak? What's the difference?

Secondly, I hear that the back of the iPod touch gets scratched very easily... could someone recommend me a case? ...preferably one that doesn't make it look like a brick.

Thirdly, the front side of the iPod shouldn't need any protection since it's scratch proof right? ...then why do people buy screen protectors? Is there really any point?

Cheers
  2. Firespray

Firespray Banned

If your iPod comes with the January Update, then yes you can still jailbreak it. Only difference is that you essentially got the update for free without having to pay $20. As for cases, I'd recommend the Griffin iClear, it's a hard case with a frosted back to it that will cover any scratches or blemishes on the back, it looks pretty cool

Please Register or Log in to view images

The screen is pretty much scratch proof unless you really dig into it with something sharp, screen protectors just offer it extra protection.
  3. Qadir

Qadir New Member

Yes, I like the iClear case actually

Maybe I will go for that... one question... there isn't a cut out for WIFI ...I guess that shouldn't affect the connection though right? I also hear that it's very hard to open that case, and some have complained that by them trying to open the case they have damaged their iPod - true?
  4. Qadir

Qadir New Member

Oh, also I have read that it lets in alot of dust... is there any way to get around that?
  5. Firespray

Firespray Banned

It doesn't affect the WiFi as far as I can tell, I mean if WiFi signals can go through walls, it can go through a plastic case

It's not really that hard to get off, I'm sure you read about sticking a quarter in the little notch in the case to open it, you just have to twist really, really gently and it opens up real easily. Yes, it does attract dust around the corners of the screen and the top and bottom of the device, I usually clean it every two weeks or, something I did anyway to wipe off fingerprints so it's not that big of a deal for me.
  6. Qadir

Qadir New Member

I guess you're right

Thanks for all of your help Firespray.

At the moment I think the iClear seems to be the best option. Just going to do a bit more research, some people have said that the dust that builds up can cause scratches (no idea how that works to be honest) but yeah, thanks

7. Qadir

Qadir New Member

8. Firespray

Firespray Banned

9. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

the touch is heavily scratch RESISTANT, it WILL SCRATCH if subjected to enough force.

also for future refrance, the title of the thread could be a little more helpful...
  10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Don't buy a leather case, I made a mistake and did. Not only does it add a lot of bulk, but over time it has stretched out, and the iPod slides out of it often.