Question...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DarkWrath, May 7, 2009.

1. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i have always wondered this and this was what made me weary of jailbreaking (but i succumbed to the temptation). (and before you lecture me about the search button i have searched but the answers ranged from a slanging match between 2 people to random hypothesises). My question is that if you're ipod's battery were to die (not run out of battery, actually physically not be able to hold charge and DIE) would i be able to restore. I could obviously not be able to take it back to the apple store because it is jailbroken and i do not want to crack open my ipod and risk messing things up. What would be my options?
  2. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you were jailbroken and your Battery Died (Actually died and not rechargeable) your best bet would be to go to the Apple Store. They would try to turn the iPod on and after seeing the battery is shot, They would check your warranty and give you a new iPod if your warranty was still running.

They would have no knowledge of you being jailbroken due to them not being able to turn your iPod on.
  3. shinichi_nguyen

shinichi_nguyen Member

Try get it turned on (by plugging into computer) and restore it to factory setting before bringing it to Apple store, or they will not solve the problem and waive your warranty (if still applied) because they see it jailbroken!
  4. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If they cannot turn his iPod on... Then how will they be able to see its Jailbroken and Waive his warrany?

Original Poster, If your not able to turn it on then Apple will most likely not be able to, Therefor they cannot waive your warranty because they have no proof your iPod is jailbroken. I wouldn't worry about this happening at all anyways, The chances are very slim.
  5. shinichi_nguyen

shinichi_nguyen Member

I'm just saying so, cos I have claimed my warranty so a couple time. I saw that they had a special software, when they plug it into the mac laptop there, they can see whatever you did with the ipod like what app is run, how long you play music.... I think probably from the last time you reset to factory setting up to the point you bring to the store!
  6. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    But if the battery is dead there is no way to get the info from the iPod
  7. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    that's true i think, mabye they are able to do that but we are not?
  8. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    How would they get it off if the iPod is not sending out the info because of the dead battery. I am nearly positive they could not get any info if the battery was truly dead
  9. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Plug it in to a power source and try holding home and power until it boots (should take around 10 to 15 seconds). if its any longer and it won't boot, then i got nothing.
  10. DarkWrath

DarkWrath Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks for the help, also could my ipod just like run off the power the usb cable supplies, just enough for a restore and then unplug it and off to the apple store?