iPhone 3G Question Unlocking iphone 3g 2.2.1 Turbo Sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mugendc4, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mugendc4

mugendc4 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I just purchased an iphone 3g but unfortunately it came out of the box FW 2.2.1 with baseband 02.30.03. I know yellowsn0w doesn't work with this baseband but has anyone tried 2.2.1 turbo sim? I read that its sorta glitchy, is that true? I wanted to get this for my girlfriend for her bday and unlock it for Tmobile. Anyone have any experience with the turbo sim for 2.2.1 or should I wait till the iPhone dev team release Yellowsn0w that will work for 2.2.1?
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    None of them really work as advertised with that baseband. They are buggy. Most of the stories I have read say its rare they actually get a signal. others have problems with dropped calls, not receiving calls, data problems all kinds of things.

I think your out of luck until a new unlock is released.... if ever.

But then again you could get lucky! I used an older version of universal-sim back when everyone was saying they didn't work and it worked flawlessly with my 3G! It even worked on two different basebands when all others were failing and it was an "outdated" version.

Its up to you if you want to risk burning a few bucks or wait for a new unlock that is not promised to ever come.
  3. mugendc4

mugendc4 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    man... that sucks... I can only hope the iphone Dev team can release a yellowsn0w that can unlock the new baseband. I guess i'm going to take a gamble and purchase a turbo sim praying that it won't be as buggy as people say. I was all excited when I got a good deal on the phone just to find out it has 2.30.03 baseband. Really wanted to get my gf a good phone for her bday because she still using the crappy ancient first gen Razr.
  4. erichuynh05

erichuynh05 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well i tried turbo sim with AT&T on 2.2.1 with the new base band. Its great, dont know about other sims
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Do you know the type/model number or manufacture? It would help. Maybe a link to the seller?
  6. Biserablemastard

Biserablemastard New Member

I'm in the same situation, and decided to go for the Rebel Sim. Didn't have any luck with it, so figured I might have to update the sim (it comes with a programmer). The Rebel Sim is now stuck in the programmer and is essentially broken.

Anyone had any luck with these sims or any other brands? I really want the iPhone to work, but I get the impression that a new software unlock is many many months away (and maybe even impossible).
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have read about some people getting them to work over on hackint0sh. The newer rebel-sims I think.
  8. mugendc4

mugendc4 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well... I finally gave my GF her iphone for her bday and bought this Turbo Sim
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=110346601224

So far it works fine, making calls and receiving. Same goes with SMS. The only bad thing about this Turbo Sim, that it was a b**** sometimes to put on. The Turbo Sim keeps on getting caught onto something which causing it to bend (maybe rip). I'll keep everyone posted to see how it goes down the road.
  9. anm43

anm43 New Member

I have the same problem. I have an iphone with the 2.30.03 baseband and the turbo sim is very unreliable. it drops signals at any time. is there any temporary solution for this problem? has the Dev team said anything about a cure for the 2.30.03 baseband? what is best for me to do for now?
  10. mugendc4

mugendc4 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    maybe a faulty turbo sim? So far my gf turbo sim works fine and only had problem once when it had the no service and wouldn't pick up any signal. All we can do is play the waiting game until a release for the new baseband. I heard that they don't have any plans on the 02.30.03 baseband and probably waiting till and an actually new update then they will work on it again.