[Question] Tips on preserving iPod touch battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tom1030, Apr 25, 2008.

1. tom1030

tom1030 New Member

Ok guys, so my iPod touch is fairly new (a few days old) so I'm not really knowledgeable about the best ways to maintain battery life. From browsing around the forums, Ive found that turning off ssh/wifi and closing all apps (by holding the home button for five secs) are some ways to do that. However, I've also noticed that unlike my previous iPod, i shouldn't turn it off/on every time i want to use it ( the battery drains like crazy). So heres my question:

What do you guys do?
    Do you turn it off every time you stop using it or leave it on sleep mode the entire day?
    And is the iPod touch battery the same as an iPhone's? Because I've seen that ppl with iPhones leave it on all day and dont seem to get much battery drained from it.
  2. Magically delicious

Magically delicious New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I always have mine on. To preserve battery I turn the brightness really low and when I listen to music I put it in standby.
  3. Partizan

Partizan New Member

Well, considering that the Iphone is intended to be used as a phone, I'd assume that it's battery power and capacity is much greater than that of the touch.

I've also noticed, as you said, that if you turn off your touch and turn it back on, it drains something like 1/4th of your battery, so i just tend to keep it in sleep mode when I don't use it. Although I've read somewhere that it's good to turn off your touch once in a while to clear the memory.
  4. francisco582

francisco582 Member

my sister has the iphone and it always dies, she walks in the house and its dead, but my ipod has been turned off like three times but only by the people that i let borrow it because they think it will save battery, then they give it back to me and its dead "why does it die so fast" they tell me. dumbass dont turn it off.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. tom1030

tom1030 New Member

Thanks for the response guys.

I guess I'll keep mine in sleep mode from now on, and yea my brightness is at the lowest possible.

And do you guys know if its bad for my battery if I keep it plugged into a computer for too long?
  6. 16gbofmagic.

16gbofmagic. New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Not bad at all. Its perfectly fine.
  7. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Best ways:

1) First thing to do is let your ipod battery drain COMPLETELY, until you get the connect to itunes symbol. Then plug it in. This resynchs the battery and can help to elongate your life.

2) Keep brightness low! This is a real killer, it helps a TON!

3) Make sure your iPod doesn't have to do anything automatically. If you have it set to automatically check for mail, turn that off. Turn autolock to one minute as well.

4) Keep it sleeping when not using it or when listening to music.

5) TURN ASK TO JOIN WIFI NETWORKS OFF! This one is also a killer, it drains like a b*tch.

6) If you aren't using wifi, turn that off as well.

7) Keep your iPod unjailbroken and updated to the latest firmwares. This one isn't NECESSARY but firmware 1.1.4 has WAY more battery life than any others, and using apps and jailbreak games drains your battery TO HELL. Also, if you have anything "customized" using customize or summerboard this will also drain your battery faster than the black background and simple icons.

If you use all of these, your battery will last a long time. I come home from school every day with my battery practically FULL on my iPod. Like above 85%. I wake up at 7:00, unplug my iPod from charging around 7:30, then I keep it with me until I get home at 6:00 PM and the battery is generally full.

Hope this helps.
  8. ipod touch fan

ipod touch fan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    get BossPrefs and turn off everything if your in an ipod.. i an iphone turn everything exept foor edge.. (i never tun it off.. but u can try)
  9. tom1030

tom1030 New Member

THanks for the tips, chort...theyre really helpful! And non jail broken? :O

And what exactly is BossPref

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. twlegg

twlegg New Member

Does anyone have any proof of the best way to preserve the life of the battery?

Is it best to let it fully use up the battery before recharging to full? Or as some people have said is it best to constantly charge your battery as you go, ie every day when you get home and its on 80% or so charge it up to 100%.

Is it ok to leave your ipod charging for too long after it is already at 100% or not?

I know many people have different theories on these matters, but is there any evidence to suggest what is best?

Also on a side note, does anyone know if using SMB decreases the performance of your ipod? I recently rejailbroke and noticed that my ipod was running faster, then after reinstalling all my apps etc including SMB it slowed down again. Would this be because of SMB? or just all the apps in general (I dont have that many)? or maybe it slowed down after I re-synched my music and vids?