Question re: downgrading from V.3.0 to 2.0 with jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Archangeldawn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Archangeldawn

Archangeldawn New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Greetings, I'm new here and I have done my reading before posting, but I still have a few questions.
    First, I just recently upgraded to the firmware 3.0 version from a 1.0something version. I have these AV video cables that won't work on my Ipod Touch 8GB (1.1something) but they do work on my brother in law's Ipod Touch 16GB with the 2.0something. So I thought it was the firmware version, so I updated to 3.0, but my iTouch still won't show the video on the tv with the cables. I find out later that the video cables only work with firmware 2.2.1 or earlier.
    So question is, will jailbreaking my ipod allow me to switch between firmware versions? I want to get rid of the 3.0 to get to a 2.2.1 or earlier my video cables will work.

Also, I have read there are two ways to do it, by running redsn0w 0.72 or by iJailbreak.com or Jailbreakme.com. What are the differences/Pro&Cons

Question, I also do not know what generation my Ipod touch is, as I don't have the box or manual, is there somewhere I can find out?

I'm running an Ipod Touch 8GB with 3.0 firmware, on a PC Windows XP-SP2 and the latest version of itunes.

Thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated
  2. bizzy

bizzy New Member

if not mistaken u have to download previous version of itunes. that doesn't let u update to 3.0 and den get old version of the jailbrake that also until 2.2.1 .
  3. jimorna

jimorna New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Downgrading without jailbreaking is impossible, i just went through a HUGE mess, but did it WITH jailbreaking in the end.
  4. C4NNIBAL

C4NNIBAL Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I thought you could Shift+Restore to a lower firmware without jailbreaking, no? Guess not then. My 3.0 is working perfectly, and I like Spotlight (although it could use a few touches) and the natural Copy+Paste so I won't be downgrading anytime soon.
  5. dazzyboy007

dazzyboy007 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    exactly right about the Shift+Restore but you need to stick the iPod in DFU mode or iTunes wont let you downgrade
    trust me it worked for me
    3.0 is very buggy when jailbroken and boring when in jail

Please Register or Log in to view images

Long Live 2.2.1 and redsn0w

hope i helped