Question on ipod touch 3rd and its firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shinichi_nguyen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. shinichi_nguyen

shinichi_nguyen Member

Ok I did read all post popping up when I hit "tab" from the tittle and maybe there was a similar question but I didn't see it so here it comes (again)
    I bought a brand new sealed ipod touch 3g, and it has its default firmware (I dont have it here but i think it's 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 not sure). My question is I want to get to the 4.x (any latest 4.x version that is jailbreak-able), and should I save my SHSH blob something before I upgrade to 4.x and then jailbreak it?
    I also want to know this. As long time before I have 2nd gen, when I want to restore the firmware to a certain version, I just download the firmware file, then use itune to restore using that file (I think hold down Shift and click open or something like that? does that method of restoration still stand today?)

The point I'm trying to understand is there is a site that allows us to download the firmware of several different version, doesn't it mean we can always restore to the earlier version locally? I'm a bit confused.