iPhone 3G QUESTION: Is iPhone 3G data plan REALLY mandatory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jalexis4192, Apr 10, 2010.

1. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, i plan on selling my iPhone 3G, to my friend, but he doesn't want to pay the monthly data charges. Is there any way to get out of this? I remember reading of something that tricked AT&T's network (after jailbreak) into thinking that your iPhone was an ordinary phone and you could get away with not having the data plan.

They have AT&T, so unlocking isn't a big issue, but i'm on 3.1.3, and jailbroken.

P.S. I did look around Google, and i searched on the forums before asking this, and i came to proper answer, so im asking here =D
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yea for ATT it is mandatory. They'll find out you have a iPhone no matter what.
  3. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Actually no, I sold my 3G to my cousin and I just jailbroke it, unlocked it, and inserted the SIM card.... He has used it flawlessly since October with no complaints from AT&T. It even shows he has an iPhone on the AT&T website, but nothing has ever been said about it.
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    He's walking on slippery thin ice then. When he signed the AT&T contract, it allowed AT&T to change his plan (IE add a data plan or any other "required" plan) to suit the phone he was using WITHOUT letting him know. So if you are going to try this, I'd be careful, and take a look at your bill month to month.
  5. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Technically, if person i sell it to signs a contract for a phone thats not an iPhone they cant really force that on him. XD

And have any of you heard about the thing on Cydia that tricks the network into thinking its a regular phone? I've looked around for last hour and haven't found anything.
  6. canesfan

canesfan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    umm, guys, i have an iphone 2g bought off of a friend, hacktivated it, and ive been running without internet for about 3 months now
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    all it says when i try to use the edge internet it says 'you are not subscribed to a wireless data service'
  7. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iPhone 2G and 3G are different though, since EDGE and 3G networks are both different. That and 3G gets both networks which only gives AT&T an excuse to charge more lol. Also, if you remember, original iPhone got text AND web on same plan, which was like $30 a month, with iPhone 3G it's seperate and like $50 for web and text.
  8. NayLoMo6C

NayLoMo6C New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well I bought my iPhone off of Craigslist half a year ago and have been using it w/o a data plan since then. That was partly because I have called ATT to disable data service way before I bought the iPhone, and I guess it carried over. I just hope this post doesn't jinx me in getting a data plan added to my bill... x[
  9. ripply

ripply Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  10. canesfan

canesfan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I dont understand what your getting at. The cost of the plan is irrelevant. The internet plan does not need to be paid for if you hacktivate is on whatever iPhone you have. I am sure oft his because when i plugged in my iphone 2g for the first time (unhackivated, about 3 months ago) it said to activate it i needed an internet plan. I hacktivated it, and now it works perfectly fine without internet.