[question] Iphone SMS API

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by vieestchien, May 7, 2008.

1. vieestchien

vieestchien New Member

Hello everyone,

Currently I am interested in developing a small application which can send/receive binary SMS on iPhone platform (not web app). I only have experience in Java, C, C++... and not Objective C/Cocoa. I don't mind learning a new language, the problem is I'm not even sure if my efforts worth it. Is there an API in Objective C which allows you to do stuffs with SMS, kinda like the Java Wireless Messaging API? I tried to google around with keywords like "objective c sms api/framework..." but couldn't find anything helpful. Anyone here knows about an API like that?

Another question: supposedly there doesn't exist an SMS API in Objective C, is there any work around? For example a SMS API in C/C++ (I heard you can write iPhone application in C++ too), or a tool which converts J2ME source code to Objective C? (I heard about alcheMo but apparently they haven't released their product to public yet).

Thanks in advance.
  2. narender.mudgal

narender.mudgal New Member

sms api

Hi ,
    Apple did not provide any API for that,
    if you want to send message all you need to do is
    type this code
    [[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL="sms:12345678"];
    something like that and your application will be redirected to
    the iPhone message application, type your message there and
    after you send the message you will be back to application.
    if you want to make your own application to send the message
    apple provides nothing. it is restricted. still you want to mess up then you can use source code of iSms application . it is using its own Private api's. try hard
    it will be done.
    have a good day..
  3. godogshomie

godogshomie New Member

There is an sms framework, just because it's not documented doesn't mean you cant use it with the sdk.
  4. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

Write AT commands to /dev/tty.debug.
  5. asrekik

asrekik New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So, do you think that i can send, from an iphone application, AT commands.
    Indeed, i like to develop an iphone application that sends At command to the GSM network, but i don't find any examples or tutorial that dials this problem
    All the samples and tutorials show how we send AT commands from a PC (not from an Iphone)
    From these tools, i note sendmodem http://george.insideiphone.com/inde...end-at-commands/comment-page-1/#comment-10545
    the code is written in C and uses /dev/tty.debug.
    So do you think that I can use it in my iphone application.
  6. jrcdude

jrcdude New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Sure you could, although it will never get accepted into the AppStore, but if you are using it with jailbroken iPhone's, shouldn't be a problem.
  7. asrekik

asrekik New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Thank you jrcdude, for your soon reply.

Another question, in this code http://george.insideiphone.com/index...#comment-10545, they used /dev/tty.debug. to open connection to the modem iPhone from a Mac. So Should I change the open method, since i will open connection, from the iPhone