Question: How to recover from freeze-ups in 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by myboot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I was just getting into the "MLB At Bat" application. The app came up and said it was "Loading..." game info. Then it froze up. I tried holding down on the buttons but stopped just short of the length of time that would put it into restore mode.

I cant get it to shut off or restart. The screen is lighted so I suppose the batteries will run out before long.

Is there a way to resolve this short of holding down on the buttons until it goes into restore mode? In the past there was a way to take 1.1.4 or previous firmware versions out of restore mode using iBricker or the like.

Does anyone have a suggestion for my Touch 2.0 (Windows user) to get me out of this situation beyond just letting the batteries run out?

Thanks in advance.
  2. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Other than letting the battery run down, no
  3. getisboy

getisboy New Member

you can hold down the power button and home and then release both when it restarts. it won't go into restore mode
  4. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Then it sticks on the boot logo.
  5. sarg

sarg Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just hold the home button for up to 5-10 seconds, it will unfreeze and exit the app.
  6. getisboy

getisboy New Member

it will take longer than usual to boot up but it will boot eventually
  7. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for all of the advice, folks. In case anyone else runs into this problem or reads this thread:

I tried holding the home or the top button for extended lengths of time. No luck. Still frozen.

I decided to risk a restore by holding down on both until it rebooted. I've had mixed results with this on previous firmwares. Sometimes it seemed like it put in restore mode (with the matching boot picture to connect your Touch to ITunes to restore it).

This time I held down on both buttons until I saw the screen change (go blank) and let up both at that point and it rebooted just fine for me.

I'd like to become more knowledgable at some point about the differences (or if they're the same) between restore mode and DFU mode, how to avoid accidentally going into restore mode when you're simply trying to free yourself from a freeze-up, and if you do accidentally go into restore mode, how to exit it without having to do an actual restore. (in the past you could use iBricker to get out of restore mode. What's the solution for 2.0?)

Thanks again, all of you. And have a great weekend.
  8. Robman62

Robman62 New Member

or you cold upgrade to the final version of 2.0.....47 i had a bunch of freezes and crashes on build***45